Family gatherings — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Family gatherings

Audinut70
Audinut70 Community member Posts: 133 Pioneering
edited March 2021 in Coffee lounge
Me and my family couldn't attend my brother's service where he lived, Warwickshire, and are waiting for his ashes to come up north. We are about 50, i can guarantee covid safety, so it's ok for us all to go because it will cause severe distress to family members that can't attend. 
Tagged:

Comments

• Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Audinut70

The government webpage on covid-19 and guidance around arranging funerals gives the following advice about commemorative events:

Linked religious, belief-based or commemorative events
    In this guidance, the phrase ‘commemorative events’ is used to refer to religious, belief-based or commemorative events linked to a person’s death, other than a funeral. Stone setting ceremonies, the scattering of ashes and wakes are examples of such events. These may take place before or following the funeral. During the national lockdown, these events can continue with up to 6 people attending. This number applies both indoors and outdoors and does not include anyone working at the event.
    All events should take place in a COVID-secure venue, where the venue manager has carried out a risk assessment and taken all reasonable measures to limit the risk of transmission of COVID-19. If the event is taking place in a private dwelling, including its grounds or gardens, only members of the household or support bubble can attend.
    If you have been advised to self-isolate by NHS Test and Trace you must not break your isolation to attend any commemorative events. This would be a legal offence and you may be fined.
    You may wish to consider delaying commemorative events until restrictions have been lifted.

With this in mind, if there are 50 of you in number then I would advise to hold off getting together until after restrictions are eased.  Would it be possible to get-together virtually in the mean-time to share your feelings and memories about your brother?  I know it's not the same but it might bring some comfort during this hard time.  
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,519 Disability Gamechanger
    It is what it is, in the past 12 months we have seen our daughter and grandson just once, our son and granddaughter just the once as well and all between lockdowns last summer. we know it won't be too long before we can see them again
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Audinut70
    Audinut70 Community member Posts: 133 Pioneering
    The floodgates are well and truly open now. Everyone thinks they can have mass gatherings, i wonder what the police will have thrown at them for breaking up the st Patrick's day gatherings?
     Organisers of these events! I wonder if you'd think they were such a good idea if one of your family or friends dies of the virus. 
    I cant believe the ignorance and selfishness of these people. Sorry i can!
  • Queenofdisabilities
    Queenofdisabilities Community member Posts: 91 Connected
    Oh don't it absolutely petrifies me
    anything that is Covid19!
    Its an open invitation for mass gatherings & the police will be out in force & will be seriously busy.
    Oh boy I can believe the ignorance & blatant disregard for others health & safety.
    They're just as likely as all of us abiding by the rules keeping us & others safe & protected.

Brightness