Am I entitled to backpay for Lcwra? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Am I entitled to backpay for Lcwra?

Charlismum
Charlismum Community member Posts: 3 Listener
edited March 2021 in Universal Credit (UC)
Hi, I began claiming Universal Credit in May 2018. I suffer from Severe anxiety, and depression and other issues. My Husband  passed away Suddenly in February of that year, and my mental health worsened. I couldn't work. I saw my Gp Monthly and provided Monthly Fit notes to Dwp. In November of 2018, I had a Wca, where i was placed in the Lcw group. I no longer had to provide Fit notes. I was told i would have another Wca in Nov 2019. I received a form in sept 2019, completed it and returned. But then received no further correspondence from Dwp whatsoever. In Jan 2021 I received a letter to say I would have a Wca over the telephone. I had this in February, and at the beginning of March received a letter awarding me the Lcwra. My first payment was made two weeks later. My question is, should I have received Back payment  for the Lcwra from Jan 2020? Which would be 3 months after what should have been my Assesment in 2019? As that is when medical evidence was submitted? But heard nothing. I have tried to resolve this with Dwp, my Daughter spoke to a lady at Dwp, who said as far as she could see I should receive backpayment from Jan 2020. But not heard anything since the award notification. Hope someone can help please. Thank you. 

Comments

• Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Hello @Charlismum and a very warm welcome to the community.
    I’m really sorry to read about the loss of your husband, I can’t imagine what that must have been like for you.

With regards to backpay, it’s my understanding that as this was a reassessment (rather than you contacting them to report a worsening condition) that it only applies from the date of decision, so there would be no back pay due unfortunately. 

Frustratingly, it would be a different matter if you had contacted them informing them of a new (or worsening) condition and requested a reassessment. 

I’m sorry this probably isn’t the news you’re looking for, but if you have further questions — please don’t hesitate to ask.
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • Charlismum
    Hi, Thank you so much for your help, and your kind words. It is three years now, and I still really struggle. 
    I was due a reassessment in November of 2019, I was sent a UC50 form, which I returned with Medical evidence. I then heard nothing from Dwp, or the assessment Department until January of this year, when I was contacted regarding a telephone assessment. I had this on the 24th of February, and was awarded the Lcwra a few days later, my first payment received on the 12th March. I had just presumed that the reassessment was the one due in Nov 2019, but had been delayed due to the pandemic, with not hearing anything. There was no cancellation or anything. Thank you again for your help. 
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    Charlismum said: I had just presumed that the reassessment was the one due in Nov 2019, but had been delayed due to the pandemic, with not hearing anything. There was no cancellation or anything. Thank you again for your help. 
    It probably is a delayed assessment but even so because it is a DWP review assessment the change will only take place from the date of decision. 
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • Charlismum

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.