Hi, my name is Geegeenumber1! — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is Geegeenumber1!

Options
Geegeenumber1
Geegeenumber1 Community member Posts: 1,066 Pioneering
Hello to all I am new I have mental health issues and bad knees which make it impossible to walk I'm also very overweight looking to make friends. Want to lose weight this year and improve my mobility

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi and welcome to the community @Geegeenumber1

Have a look around and feel free to join in or ask any questions 

I look forward to seeing you around 
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,492 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @Geegeenumber1 :) Welcome to the community. Thanks for joining, it's great to have you with us. 

Thank you for sharing some information about yourself with us. I can imagine it's difficult to exercise with your bad knees. Have you spoken to a doctor about your knees?

Are you currently getting support for your mental health?

Do you have any ideas on how you can be more mobile and lose some weight? 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map
  • Geegeenumber1
    Options
    hi there
    yes i am under the physio for my knees but they are not doing face to face appointments and they arent keen for me to have an op. i cant walk its horrendous. i am the psych team for my mental health but don't take medication anymore as it didn't agree with me

I am dieting currently ad have lost 2.5 lbs in a month not much but better than nothing unfortunately I cant exercise because of my knees but do light bicep curls with resistance bands#

• Tori_Scope
    Options
    Ahh I see @Geegeenumber1. Have you been given any exercises for your knees by the physio that you can do at home? 

I'm glad that you're under a mental health team. Have you accessed any other type of treatment, such as a talking therapy? There's no pressure to share anything on here that you're not comfortable sharing.

That's definitely better than nothing! The bicep curls sound like a good idea. 

• Sandy_123
    Sandy_123 Scope Member Posts: 49,876 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @Geegeenumber1 2.51bs is good, best to do it slowly,  welcome to the forum
  • Geegeenumber1
    Options
    thank you i appreciate that have you been on the forum long
  • Geegeenumber1
    Options
    i dont have talking therapy but i have a university mentor

the physio has given me exercises but they do not help
  • Tori_Scope
    Options
    I'm glad you have a mentor at university @Geegeenumber1. Perhaps you could mention the possibility of counselling to them? It might help, and they may be able to put you in touch with someone. What do you study?

I'm sorry to hear that. Could you perhaps ask for a telephone appointment with them?

• Geegeenumber1
    Options
    i started counselling but had to discontinue because my mum was home when I had my sessions and it wasn't private and she wasn't understanding when I told her I was giving away private information eg my online dating experiences

I'm doing a masters in social work.

telephone appointments are all very well but I need physical help. i am now being rereffered to the orthapedic surgeon as they told me I had missed an appointment which I didn't received. i think the only option is going to be surgery

its really disheartening not being able to get out and about years ago I was super fit I miss exercise

• Tori_Scope
    Options
    Ahh that's understandable @Geegeenumber1. Teletherapy certainly has its drawbacks. Perhaps it's something you could look into once face to face appointments are back up and running. I'm sorry that your mum wasn't understanding.

That's a great choice of Masters! How are you finding it?

Yeah I can appreciate that. It is frustrating that physical appointments aren't always going ahead right now. I hope you're able to formulate some next steps with the orthopaedic surgeon.  

Have you considered using an aid such as a wheelchair or walking stick to help you get out and about a bit more?

• Geegeenumber1
    Options
    i wouldnt know how to get one

I am getting a motorbility car soon which is fantastic news but I will need a taxi even to collect it

face to face therapy is ok but again its transporting myself there

I don't really enjoy my course I find it a bit boring but placement soon which hopefully will be more practical and interesting
  • Geegeenumber1
    Options
    ive got two walking sticks but they don't do any good

I haven't really got room for a wheelchair and not sure how I would get one
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,103 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @Geegeenumber1 - & welcome to the community from me too. Well done on beginning your weight loss, which will also help your knees. I have mobility problems, & found walking sticks just too awkward to use. I wonder, if you talk to your GP, they may be able to refer you to a physio department, where you could be assessed for some elbow crutches, which are way more manageable, if that's possible just now that is. Or, if it's not too long until you see the orthopedic consultant, they might be able to advise whether these would help. :)
  • Geegeenumber1
    Options
    thank you for your messsage i am being rereffered for the orthapedic surgeon as they discharged me for non attendance at an appointment I had no knowledge of! I will definitely ask about the elbow crutches thank you. They have recommended hydrotherapy treatment which starts up again in one month but it is not local as I am staying away from home at my mums at the moment because I cant get about and they wont stretch hospital transport that far. I might need to move GPS. I don't like the thought of wearing a swimming costume as my confidence is at an all time low.

I do hope weight loss will help but its going very slow. Only a couple of pounds off in a month but my eating habits have improved. Ive even joined overeaters anonymous and have a sponsor now who I send my meals pictures to, it makes me more accountable. 

I had some good news today I was awarded a placement for university after having an interview, Its remote learning so I don't have to worry about my mobilty

Loving this forum x

• chiarieds
    Options
    You seem to be making a very good start with your weight loss, which really will help your knees. I worked as a physio a very long time ago, but now I'm like the patients i used to treat! However, it gives me some understanding of both sides of the fence.
    Hydrotherapy sounds like a great idea, so I hope you can overcome your lack of confidence. The pools are lovely & warm; I used to really enjoy it when I was treating children with cerebral palsy, & 2 brothers with Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy.....it helped my joints too! It's not like there will be a lot of people in the pool at the same time, but think, it will help you with your mobility & weight loss, which is what you want to achieve, so it's a great plan.
    It hopefully sounds like things are beginning to improve for you, & you do sound like an achiever, especially after hearing about your university placement, for which may I congratulate you. Please let us all know how you're getting on, & I'm pleased you like the forum.....me too. :)
  • Geegeenumber1
    Options
    its so nice to speak to friendly and understanding people. i will try and change my doctors surgery and get referred for hydrotherapy it does sound appealing. i cant believe you used to be  physio so you can see both sides in simple terms I have runners knee I am in severe pain when I walk I cant walk in fact for more than a few metres without severe pain.
  • chiarieds
    Options
    You'll love hydrotherapy, honestly....the water is just so warm & great. I think I'm feeling just a tad jealous of your opportunity. I have a somewhat similar problem to yourself as far as knees go. I have a genetic disorder called Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome, which means I'm what used to be called 'double-jointed.' In other words, I'm hypermobile, so my joints move outside the normal range, & this has caused excessive 'wear & tear.' This not helped by the fact I had a ski-ing accident when (much) younger, which has badly affected my right knee, which often goes off in a different direction to me! My joints partially dislocate, & with my knees, especially the right, it's my kneecap going off to one side....not much fun.
    You'll find on the forum that altho we may have different disabilities, there's an awful lot of understanding, & everyone is so supportive. :)
  • Geegeenumber1
    Options
    the hydrotherapy is starting to sound really appealing i do feel desperate to get some exercise. so is it done with equipment, is it just a normal swimming pool but doing exercises I definitely will look into it
    sorry to hear about your knees. I'm not sure how mine came about I used to be super fit and did lots of weighted squats and stuff and wonder if that did it, my runners knee has a serious medical name palleformal something you might recognise it I cant spell it myself !

Im definitely feeling more positive as I will be starting my placement and am soon going to be getting a mobility car which is open up a whole new world even shopping but also visiting family and friends up north

I tried to go out for the first time since before Christmas the other day and was in such agony just going just a few yards, its wonderful to get support from people who understand

tell me more about yourself you seem really cool x

Brightness