Sexual harassment - Page 2 — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Sexual harassment

Options
2»

Comments

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,655 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I'm sorry @Audinut70 but reading some of what you say appears to be you adding 2 and 2 together and making 7, everyman should respect every woman it's what we do, just as we would automatically respect our parents, they don't have to earn that respect they get it by right.
    My OH worked in a position in the early 80's where today you might say she was "sexually harassed" back then she dealt with it, put them in their place and laughed it off.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    @Audinut70 I understand you've had a difficult time in previous relationships and get how experiencing false allegations would impact your perspective on this (as mentioned before, please do email the team at community@scope.org.uk so we can offer support). However, I believe what @Kit_ was trying to convey is that, regardless of sex, we all share a common humanity and respect for others boundaries and wishes should be a shared goal.
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • Queenofdisabilities
    Queenofdisabilities Community member Posts: 91 Connected
    Options
    @Audinut70.
    I understand totally about your past experiences with 2 women & I empathise.
    Don't tar all us women with the same brush.
    Why not ring your dr for counselling.
    It will teach you new coping skills then you won't be so bitter.
    May really help you hence me suggesting it.
    Or on here there must be someone who you can talk to?
  • newborn
    newborn Community member Posts: 832 Pioneering
    Options
    Consider if what you are doing or saying would be o.k.,  if you were gay, and  if the object of your attention happened to be a man who looks like a nightclub bouncer.  You are gay, but you don't know if he is,  You think  he might be, but you don't know if he had a partner, or if he only 'goes out'  with men who don't resemble you at all. 

You would take care to devise a way to talk about something you hoped might be of mutual interest.  If he seems willing to talk further, you might casually suggest a drink, but without making it seem like a statement of intention, just in case you found yourself punched in the face(!)   If, to your delight, he accepted the invitation, you would still not be confident, because he might only want to discuss with you in a friendly way the topics you have in common, he certainly has not declared, by having a drink, that he is gay, nor that he is interested in you 'in that way'  nor or that he ever will be.  

In that imagined scene, you would be extra careful, because he is at least twice as strong as you,  and you quite like your teeth to be  left in your face!

Try reversing it.  This time, he is gay and interested in you.  Either you are not gay at all, in which case although you talk to him, and might have a drink and be friendly, you absolutely never will be going into a personal relationship with him.   Or, maybe you are gay, but half his strength, or less. Maybe you are  pretty scared most of the time, because you have often been attacked by strangers, and being so short and weak has made you a target of bullying since childhood.  Maybe your last relationship involved you constantly getting beaten up, and afraid to leave, or too emotionally involved to run away, until you saw the light, and vowed never to get involved with an abuser again.   

This man is not frightening you; not yet.  Not yet, despite his size and despite your natural fearfulness.  He is not standing too close; he is talking light-heartedly.   He hasn't 'come on' to you.   He talks about things of mutual interest.  He is very casual, pleasant,  not insistent. He  does manage to find a way to ask if you want a drink some time, without making it seem as if you are actually committing to a 'date' .     
    Maybe you would be happy to meet for a chat, over a drink, but not for a date.  Maybe you never would do that, because you already have a partner.   Or maybe he is not 'your type', even though you quite like chatting to him.

Or, maybe he might, gradually, get to know you and become friends, and eventually become a couple.  But the least sign of him being aggressive, or inconsiderate of what you want, would be an alarm bell for you.   If he starts to be forceful in any way, or insistent, or persistent, ignoring the signs you want him to back off, that will be the end of it, as far as you are concerned.    And if he chases you, tries to force you, seems to think he is entitled to insist on having his own way and scaring you, then he will be a bully and you will be right to be scared. 
  • Audinut70
    Audinut70 Community member Posts: 133 Pioneering
    edited March 2021
    Options
    @Audinut70.
    I understand totally about your past experiences with 2 women & I empathise.
    Don't tar all us women with the same brush.
    Why not ring your dr for counselling.
    It will teach you new coping skills then you won't be so bitter.
    May really help you hence me suggesting it.
    Or on here there must be someone who you can talk to?
    This is why men dont talk about the abuse they are/have suffered. We just get chastised,patronized for calling it out. Like it's different. I'm not bitter, im not calling for women to be locked away, and if respect is being bandied about, do i not deserve some for treating women well, considering?I like, love women.
     I'm a dad, respect is not a given, i don't 'expect' my children to respect me, that's assuming that i deserve it. Which would be arrogant. Just being something doesn't earn automatic respect. If people feel they have to respect ,that's their prerogative. 
     I dont tar all women, like men, the abusive, vicious ones are a minority, yet all men a generalised as abusive, a threat. 
    The sad fact is, the world is what it is. Ive been hospitalized several times by men, my life threatened several times, been assaulted, abused by women, bitten by dogs, ran over twice. I am truly sorry that women feel scared of men, I'm scared of what women can do to me, it doesn't stop me wanting to be with one.
  • Audinut70
    Audinut70 Community member Posts: 133 Pioneering
    Options
    newborn said:
    Consider if what you are doing or saying would be o.k.,  if you were gay, and  if the object of your attention happened to be a man who looks like a nightclub bouncer.  You are gay, but you don't know if he is,  You think  he might be, but you don't know if he had a partner, or if he only 'goes out'  with men who don't resemble you at all. 

You would take care to devise a way to talk about something you hoped might be of mutual interest.  If he seems willing to talk further, you might casually suggest a drink, but without making it seem like a statement of intention, just in case you found yourself punched in the face(!)   If, to your delight, he accepted the invitation, you would still not be confident, because he might only want to discuss with you in a friendly way the topics you have in common, he certainly has not declared, by having a drink, that he is gay, nor that he is interested in you 'in that way'  nor or that he ever will be.  

In that imagined scene, you would be extra careful, because he is at least twice as strong as you,  and you quite like your teeth to be  left in your face!

Try reversing it.  This time, he is gay and interested in you.  Either you are not gay at all, in which case although you talk to him, and might have a drink and be friendly, you absolutely never will be going into a personal relationship with him.   Or, maybe you are gay, but half his strength, or less. Maybe you are  pretty scared most of the time, because you have often been attacked by strangers, and being so short and weak has made you a target of bullying since childhood.  Maybe your last relationship involved you constantly getting beaten up, and afraid to leave, or too emotionally involved to run away, until you saw the light, and vowed never to get involved with an abuser again.   

This man is not frightening you; not yet.  Not yet, despite his size and despite your natural fearfulness.  He is not standing too close; he is talking light-heartedly.   He hasn't 'come on' to you.   He talks about things of mutual interest.  He is very casual, pleasant,  not insistent. He  does manage to find a way to ask if you want a drink some time, without making it seem as if you are actually committing to a 'date' .     
    Maybe you would be happy to meet for a chat, over a drink, but not for a date.  Maybe you never would do that, because you already have a partner.   Or maybe he is not 'your type', even though you quite like chatting to him.

Or, maybe he might, gradually, get to know you and become friends, and eventually become a couple.  But the least sign of him being aggressive, or inconsiderate of what you want, would be an alarm bell for you.   If he starts to be forceful in any way, or insistent, or persistent, ignoring the signs you want him to back off, that will be the end of it, as far as you are concerned.    And if he chases you, tries to force you, seems to think he is entitled to insist on having his own way and scaring you, then he will be a bully and you will be right to be scared. 
    newborn said:

Yes,i agree there are some scary situations out there, ive been in one, but if you live worrying about every possible scenario in life, you will go mad.

Brightness