Need advice about new style esa and universal credit — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Need advice about new style esa and universal credit

greenpatts23
greenpatts23 Community member Posts: 27 Connected
Hi 
After being diagnosed with my condition last year June 2020, I was put on furlough prior and then moved on to sick pay, then my manager said she can put me back onto furlough as I was running out off sick leave, anyways currently I am not able to go back again so I am planning to hand in my notice, my question is what would I claim? At the moment I get severe disability premium, if I was to make a new claim for universal credit do I also have to make a claim for new style esa?  Also I do claim pip 
Sorry if this doesn’t make sense 

Comments

• calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    edited March 2021
    More information needed in order to advise. You say you get SDP so what benefits do you currently receive? You must already be getting DLA or PIP. Do you rent your home? Do you live alone or with a partner? 

Even if your sick pay is running out that doesn’t mean you need to quit your job.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • greenpatts23
    Hi 
    yes I get pip the daily standard rate, I also get housing benefit, working tax and child tax credit, I live alone with my child, in a housing association property from the council 
    no I ment I want to quit my job as I no longer fit enough to work 
  • calcotti
    If you leave work and do nothing you will continue to get PIP, HB and CTC. Entitlement to WTC will end.

in your opening post you asked if you should claim PIP but you already get it. PIP will not be affected by any other benefit choices you make.

if you want to claim additional benefit you can
    1) apply for new style ESA if you have a full NI record for the tax years 2018-19 and 2019-20. This will allow you to retain the HB and CTC. Or
    2) Apply for UC. This will end your HB and CTC.
    3) you can also apply for both, the ESA will reduce the UC payable.

You should not apply for UC without first doing benefit calculations to see which options will benefit you most. Bear in mind that UC is scheduled to drop by £86.67/month in October.

if applying for UC or ESA you should first get a GP Fit Note and you will then have a Work Capability Assessment.

Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • greenpatts23
    Hi thank you for your advice really helpful 
    the new style esa is the application process similar to applying for pip? 
  • calcotti
    edited March 2021
    Hi thank you for your advice really helpful 
    the new style esa is the application process similar to applying for pip? 
    Apply on line. Will be sent a Work Capability Questionnaire. Complete and return, then assessment. Unlike PIP you do get paid (provided you meet the NI conditions) while waiting for the assessment. If you are assessed and put in the Support Group you can get it indefinitely. If you are not in the Support Group it is only paid for 365 days,
    https://www.gov.uk/how-to-claim-new-style-esa

Re PIP, if your health has deteriorated and you now have greater difficulty doing the PIP tasks to the required standard you can report a change and be reassessed - but be aware this is a complete reassessment.
  • greenpatts23
    Hi ok thank you for explaining everything to me very helpful, okay I think I will contact my Gp get a sick note and then just apply for The ESA only  
  • calcotti
    edited March 2021
    Hi ok thank you for explaining everything to me very helpful, okay I think I will contact my Gp get a sick note and then just apply for The ESA only  
    Be aware that the ESA is taxable income. 
    You will need to update HMRC about the changes so that they can revise your Tax Credits award. Similarly advise your local authority so they can update HB.
    Provided you meet the NI conditions you can then take time to investigate whether you would be better off on UC (while taking into account the expected reduction in October).
    Also if you claim ESA first and the ESA WCA puts you in the Support Group you will then be entitled to the LCWRA element of UC from the start of the UC claim.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.