When do paid carers get offered the covid vaccine? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

When do paid carers get offered the covid vaccine?

April
April Community member Posts: 110 Pioneering
Does anyone know how I go about getting vaccines for my son and daughter's carers? I know that unpaid carers can get the vaccine in group 6 of the vaccine schedule, but there's no mention of paid carers. I employ them privately. I think agency workers are getting the vaccine now, but what about private carers?
Tagged:

Comments

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,521 Disability Gamechanger
    There seems to be growing confusion about who gets it and when, we were surprised when my OH got the text on Friday and is having the vax next Friday, she is my carer and does get CA, and she does have her own medical issues, but in all honest we both thought I might get it first, but i'm happy to wait my turn.
    I'm don't if i'm honest know how your son/daughters carers will be listed, maybe they should enquire?
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• paulinedixon
    paulinedixon Community member Posts: 11 Listener
    I have had mine last Saturday. So all Carers can now have the vaccine. 
  • Swatteam
    Swatteam Community member Posts: 175 Pioneering
    I had mine 2 weeks ago 
  • forgoodnesssake
    forgoodnesssake Community member Posts: 500 Pioneering
    Paid carers have been eligible for a while now and there seem to be various routes...but I have been told that they can use the online booking system and as long as they have either an NHS number or are registered with a GP they can book but they MUST take written proof of their paid care worker status to the appointment or they may get turned away if they are not in the currently eligible age bracket.  Your local authority/health authority shoudl also have info about this process, somewhere..!
  • laurapeach
    laurapeach Community member, Scope Member Posts: 114 Pioneering
    My other half is my carer (he gets carers allowance) but we had to make sure he was registered at our GP as my carer to be able to get the invitation for the vaccine.
    Mum of one little girl.

I am AuDHD and I have M.E/CFS and POTS.
  • forgoodnesssake
    forgoodnesssake Community member Posts: 500 Pioneering
    I just wanted to clarify that I am talking about paid social care workers (which is what I assumed the OP was asking about) rather than those of use who get Carers Allowance. Paid support workers, whether they work for a local authority, an agency or are privately employed with DPs or whatever,  were eligible for the vaccine before the situation for unpaid (or those getting CA) was clarified...
  • davegregson40
    davegregson40 Community member Posts: 83 Pioneering
    Unpaid and registered carers are now eligible for the vaccine, more information can be found out on the Carers UK website and those eligible should get notification by their local GP, I got my letter earlier this week. 
  • Caz_Alumni
    Caz_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 621 Pioneering
    Thanks for the update @davegregson40 - that's really helpful.

I've included a link to the Covid Vaccine FAQ's on the Carers UK website. Is this the information that you were referring to?

@Caz_Scope
    Online Community Coordinator (she/her)

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.

Brightness