Hi, my name is seanwood! — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is seanwood!

Options
seanwood
seanwood Community member Posts: 1 Listener
Hi there!

I’m looking for some advice. My wife has a 6-year old relative named Sofia from Krasnodar, Russia. Sofia has already been identified as a good candidate for SDR surgery by St. Louis Children’s Hospital in Missouri in the US, but they need to raise $71,000 for the surgery by the end of April. They’ve managed to reach $50,000, but, sadly, the remaining $20,000 seems like it will be tricky to find in time.

My wife and I live in Birmingham, here in the UK, which got us wondering about the possibility of her trying to get a referral to have the surgery here in the UK. Is it possible? If so, how would we go about helping them to get a referral to the NHS? How much would it likely cost?

Thanks!

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi and welcome 

I dont think they could get referred to NHS it would have to be private I think but I'm no expert 

Have a look on nhs website or maybe contact CAB 

You could Google the cost if the surgery but there would also be cost of any after care 

Hope there are other members who can help more 
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello @seanwood and welcome to the community, how are you? 

Have you done some research into the availability of the procedure in the UK? 

See this below from this Scope page:

"Since 1988, SDR has been available through the orthopaedic team at the Robert Jones and Agnes Hunt Hospital in Oswestry. The technique practised here is via a multi-level approach.

Since 2011, some British paediatric neurosurgery centres have started offering SDR surgery through the single-level approach. The NHS has funded some cases. Others have self-funded through the NHS hospital treatment top-up scheme."

Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.

Brightness