New Grabber prototype!! — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

New Grabber prototype!!

JaiBannister
JaiBannister Community member Posts: 7 Listener
edited March 2021 in Research and opportunities
My name is Jai and I am a year 11 student who has designed a  grabber for wheelchair users. If it is something that would interest  you and you like the look of this prototype please answer a few questions about it by clicking the link. https://forms.office.com/Pages/ResponsePage.aspx?id=h7xgUQ5nbUWPP7ZWkj48iCn0rWTz5PpHqvkLC1XPMEdUQVdVTTJVWlVXVjVWWVJCVDlOQUw3VDVOMi4u

Comments

• Oxonlady
    Oxonlady Scope Member Posts: 566 Pioneering
    Hi @JaiBannister, it's very thoughtful of someone your age (if you don't mind me saying so) to think of people with disabilities.

I'm a wheelchair user. I can't quite see from the photo what is different about this grabber compared to existing grabbers on the market? Please could you provide more details? Thank you. 
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @JaiBannister - great you're trying this prototype out, Jai. I'm not a wheelchair user, but, out of interest, I looked at your survey. May I point out that questions 3 & 4, altho showing different photos, are asking the same question. You might want to tweak this. Good luck with your project too. :)
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @JaiBannister and welcome to the community. 

This sounds like a great project and I wish you the best of luck with it. Before we allow your survey link on the community would you mind dropping us an email to community@scope.org.uk, just to explain what personal data you might collect from anybody taking part, and what you will do with the data you collect from this survey.

Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • Sandy_123
    Sandy_123 Scope Member Posts: 46,851 Disability Gamechanger
    @JaiBannister that looks great, I don't use a wheelchair but I use grabbers alot i wouldn't be with out 1. This 1 on the photo looks sturdy enough to pick heavier items up. Good luck with it.
  • newborn
    newborn Community member Posts: 832 Pioneering
    You do know multiple kinds are already on the market, including for £1 ?
  • JaiBannister
    Oxonlady said:
    Hi @JaiBannister, it's very thoughtful of someone your age (if you don't mind me saying so) to think of people with disabilities.

I'm a wheelchair user. I can't quite see from the photo what is different about this grabber compared to existing grabbers on the market? Please could you provide more details? Thank you. 
    Hi Oxonlady the main difference is in durability. One of my friends, who has used other grabbers available on the market, told me they are good but they easily break and they are not ideal for activities such as gardening. I’ve tried to design something that won’t  rust and will last longer than the existing grabbers on the market. 
  • Sandy_123
    @JaiBannister just a hint, be good if a magnet could be attached to pick up those pesky cutlery that drop on floor 
  • JaiBannister
    chiarieds said:
    Hi @JaiBannister - great you're trying this prototype out, Jai. I'm not a wheelchair user, but, out of interest, I looked at your survey. May I point out that questions 3 & 4, altho showing different photos, are asking the same question. You might want to tweak this. Good luck with your project too. :)
    Thanks for pointing that out I’ve changed it now! 
  • Oxonlady
    Oxonlady Scope Member Posts: 566 Pioneering
    Hi @JaiBannister, out of interest, have you applied to have your gadget patented? If you haven't, unfortunately you won't be able to apply now, as you have spoken of it publicly!

Without a patent, how will you mass produce and market it?
    Another individual or company could simply copy your design and profit from your ideas.... 
  • OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,587 Disability Gamechanger
    Sandy_123 said:
    @JaiBannister just a hint, be good if a magnet could be attached to pick up those pesky cutlery that drop on floor 
    Genuine Helping Hands already have a magnet in the end...but it would need to be much bigger to lift something as heavy as cutlery I think.

• Sandy_123
    I don't know mine doesn't have magnet on it 
  • JaiBannister
    @Sandy_123 that’s a great idea!! Thank you 
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger

Events, research and opportunities disclaimer

The Events, research and opportunities board is the only board that permits the publishing of posts with an email, contact number or survey link.

Our website contains links to third parties’ websites for your information only.

We have no control over the content of those sites or resources and we don’t endorse or accept liability for the content of them.

Read the full Terms and Conditions and the Community Guidelines.
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.

Brightness

Disclaimer

Our website contains links to third parties’ websites for your information only.

We have no control over the content of those sites or resources and we don’t endorse or accept liability for the content of them.

Read the full Terms and Conditions and our Community House Rules.