How to go about my son living with me — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

How to go about my son living with me

kidsareus
kidsareus Community member Posts: 28 Listener
Hi my son has lived with here mom since he was born now he is 15yrs old he wants to live with me his left his mother’s house and now his living with me . His mother I still getting benefits for him I really don’t no we’re to start with  changing the money she gets for him over to me will all this have to go to court or will my son have to speak to someone to say that he now wants to live with me I really don’t no we’re to start from step one . As his mother got to sign him over to me his mother is not happy about our son’s decision as my son got a say in all of this with him being 15 ? Thank you 

Comments

• kidsareus
    Also will I have to be the one who calls child benefits and child tax credits on her behalf to tell them what’s going on ? Because I doubt it very much that she will she won’t give me birth certificate or passport for him I’m really stuck as to what to do 
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    If she is no longer responsible then she should let Child Benefit and Tax Credits know. You will then be able to claim Child Benefit. You will not be able to claim Tax Credits (unless you already get them for other children).

Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • kidsareus
    She is still responsible for our son but his decision is to come and live with me she’s not happy about it but will it be my sons choice 
  • kidsareus
    I just need to no the first step I have to take 
  • kidsareus
    I’m disabled and get benefits myself so surely I would be in tiled to something for him 
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi 

I suggest you get some expert advice about this 

You will share parental responsibility for him as his father unless of course it has been applied to be taken away through court but I doubt this you would know 

Unless there is a residence order in place he can decide to live with either it is a mutual agreement between all of you 

As for benefits if she us claiming she needs to end her claim in order for you to claim you would probably get child benefit and child element of UC 

I understand his mum wont want to co operate but you can always force the issue by reporting false claim 

But as I started off you need legal advice find a family lawyer and ask for the free initial consultation so at least they can tell you where to start 

Maybe contact CAB 
  • kidsareus
    Thank you for your advice it was very helpful 

Brightness