What do you call the main meal you eat in the evening? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

What do you call the main meal you eat in the evening?

Ross_Alumni
Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
Very curious about this question, as it has been debated many times within my household, family and even within the community team.

I recognise that answers may be influenced by location and upbringing, but I'm curious to know what the vast majority of people call the meal you eat in the evening, is it...
Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.

What do you call the main meal you eat in the evening? 25 votes

Dinner
36%
leeCalexdvrCressidaDragonslayerPixie51CressmzjojoJessJsuper222 9 votes
Tea
52%
deb74easywoodbineGarzajaner1967OverlyAnxiouschiarieds66MustangGrinchyCher_AlumniRoss_AlumniSandy_123Lisatho11987777 13 votes
Other (please specify)
12%
WaylayQuintyNotReally 3 votes

Comments

• Ross_Alumni
    Tea
    Tea for me. I was brought up my entire life by a family of people who say "tea is ready" and "for tea we are having..." so it has stuck with me :) 

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Tea
    Tea for me unless going out for meal 

If go out around 7pm or later call it dinner 
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,522 Disability Gamechanger
    Tea
    I'm dead common it's tea and always has been, it's dinner if you are going out (as we used to do pre covid)
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    edited March 2021
    Tea
    Tea for me too....is it a Yorkshire thing, or more widespread? If I can even remember it, going out for a meal is dinner/evening meal.
    There's also a thread on here 'What's for tea tonight?' so we're not alone.
  • Ross_Alumni
    Tea
    I always assumed saying tea was a Yorkshire thing. But I guess not? :) 

My partner says dinner, which confuses me a whole lot because I call the meal in the middle of the day dinner :D 

• Welshjayne2021
    Welshjayne2021 Community member Posts: 85 Courageous
    Tea.  I’m not posh enough to call it dinner.
  • Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    It depends on who i'm speaking to, if it's my mum then i will say tea. But if i'm talking to Ewan, then i will say dinner because we have had many debates over the correct terms for mealtimes, to be fair though, he is from Windsor  :lol:
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • NotReally
    NotReally Community member Posts: 59 Pioneering
    Other (please specify)
    Food.

What?  I'm autistic ... did you really expect anything else?
  • JessJ
    JessJ Community member Posts: 8 Listener
    Dinner
    Dinner's ready! 
  • Lisatho11987777
    Lisatho11987777 Scope Member Posts: 5,911 Disability Gamechanger
    Tea
    I have always called it tea 

It's normaly said like this 

Breakfast 
    Lunch
    Dinner 

My aunt also lived in Windsor  lol 
  • Sandy_123
    Sandy_123 Scope Member Posts: 46,828 Disability Gamechanger
    Tea
    Always known it as tea, quote from Google below.
    High” tea
    In the past, high tea was an alternative to afternoon tea. ... This eventually evolved into the lower classes calling their midday meal “dinner” and their evening meal “tea”, while the upper classes called their midday meal “lunch” and referred to the evening meal as “dinner”.
  • leeCal
    leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
    Dinner
    We have an evening meal which we poshly call dinner,,,even if it’s only fish fingers! 

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• Dragonslayer
    Dragonslayer Community member Posts: 2,165 Pioneering
    Dinner
    I used to call it tea all the time, until I married my American wife, now its dinner and lunch, whether eating in or out or what time we have it. Its all food anyway whatever we call it.
  • deb74
    deb74 Community member Posts: 814 Pioneering
    Tea
    I am from the west midlands and it is always breakfast dinner and tea. Like @leeCal says it is posh to call it dinner.
  • Grinchy
    Grinchy Community member Posts: 1,810 Disability Gamechanger
    Tea
    Tea,  i'm from Liverpool, so we are having our Tea, glad we all have differences, its interesting
  • 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,368 Disability Gamechanger
    Tea
    I’m from the south and we call it tea

Breakfast - lunch - tea

I agree “dinner” is a posh tea - i.e. going out - also “tea” at lunch time is posh if it’s afternoon tea!
  • Swatteam
    Swatteam Community member Posts: 175 Pioneering
    TEA where I come from the northeast 
    Breakfast 
    Dinner 
    Tea
    Supper
  • Waylay
    Waylay Community member, Scope Member Posts: 973 Pioneering
    Other (please specify)
    Supper, but I grew up in Quebec. My Mum (English from Portsmouth/London) said dinner before eventually switching to supper. My Dad (wrong side of tracks London), said tea.
  • Ross_Alumni
    Tea
    Waylay said:
    Supper, but I grew up in Quebec. My Mum (English from Portsmouth/London) said dinner before eventually switching to supper. My Dad (wrong side of tracks London), said tea.
    Interesting, thanks for sharing :) 

• Quinty
    Quinty Community member Posts: 47 Courageous
    Other (please specify)
    Supper  tea, and dinner. It depends what mood Im in.

Brightness