Review — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Review

Options
Pin
Pin Community member Posts: 139 Pioneering
Hi all

I know you can't tell me what the assessor will say but I'm just so panicked about my review.

I had a telephone assessment last week and it was really awful. Being asked about feeling suicidal in front of my mum was horrible and quite unexpected. 

I've got a few conditions that aren't going anywhere and a lot of medical uncertainty just now. It just feels cruel to have this hanging over me.

My first application was fine, the assessor was lovely and I felt at ease. Being on the phone was just so much more stressful and I feel like I didn't explain myself well.

How quickly can I call for the report? Is it a week you need to wait? My friend was told her recommendations on the phone so I'm wondering if they'll tell me.

Ultimately I have far more concerning things in my life right now (ongoing issues with previous cancer), but this just feels like another thing to worry about.

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi there 

Sorry to hear your assessment was stressful and about your ongoing issues 

Yes you can request the report after approx 7 working days,  I've not heard of them telling you recommendations over phone so your friend was lucky 

Let us know how you get on 
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello @pin 

I'm sorry to read that you had a poor experience during your assessment, it seems to have upset you quite a bit. It can be hard to talk about sensitive issues such as the ones you reference there, especially when you are caught unexpectedly by the question.

In your post you referred to being asked about feeling suicidal, I'm just wondering how you are at the minute? Do you receive support to manage your mental health?
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • Pin
    Options
    Thanks for the concern Ross, I'm not "actively" suicidal and I've got support for everything that's going on. 

I wish I had realised id be asked as I'd have been happier talking about it with my mum beforehand rather than being caught so off guard. My first assessment didn't focus much on mental health and I assumed this would be the same - I think the rules have changed a bit though since then.

I forgot how traumatising (for want of a better word) these assessments are. I spend my life focusing on what I can do, it's like a punch in the gut to have to look at it all so negatively.

Thanks Jane, I'll hold off for now. 8-10 weeks is a long time to wait for the decision. 
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Pin said: I forgot how traumatising (for want of a better word) these assessments are. I spend my life focusing on what I can do, it's like a punch in the gut to have to look at it all so negatively.
    I agree. "Could be worse, mustn't grumble" is (within reason) a good strategy for getting through life but not for dealing with benefits claim!
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • Pin
    Options
    Absolutely @calcotti - that's the mentality that gets me up in the morning!
  • Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    @Pin I can understand how disconcerting it must have been to have faced such questions  :(  I'm glad to hear you're receiving support though and we send all our luck for the PIP outcome and your ongoing physical health issues.  We are always only a message away if you need us.
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,492 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hey @Pin :) We just wanted to check-in to see how you were getting on? 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.