Hi, I'm Molly69! Can anyone please clarify the maximum EHCP hours which can be granted to a child — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, I'm Molly69! Can anyone please clarify the maximum EHCP hours which can be granted to a child

Options
Molly69
Molly69 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
edited March 2021 in Education
Hi
Looking for some advice please. My son is in KS1 and has and EHCP of 8 hrs a week. Can anyone please clarify the maximum hrs which can be granted to a child in mainstream school? I appreciate it is dependent on their level of need ect but just looking for an idea as I am preparing to challenge his current level of support.
TIA ?

Tagged:

Comments

• Lisatho11987777
    Lisatho11987777 Scope Member Posts: 5,911 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    All you can do is ask for extra hours when I worked in care  my clients were always applying  for extra hours 

If you think he needs extra hours ask for them and the reasons why you think he needs them 

Welcome to the community others will also reply 
  • megs2019
    megs2019 Community member Posts: 40 Connected
    Options
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @Molly69

Welcome to the community, I hope you are well.

I don't have any experience in this area, but you might wish to seek advice from this helpline, which is there to assist with SEN queries. Alternatively, IPSEA is a good option too.
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • forgoodnesssake
    forgoodnesssake Community member Posts: 502 Pioneering
    Options
    There isn't any blanket maximum (or there shoudn't be!)  It is supposed to be needs led so if your son has assessed needs then he should be allocated enough hours to meet those needs; and that can include "non contact hours" if his support assistants need to prepare resources etc.  Sometimes LEAs will try and say that it is a teachers job to prepare pupil resources so why are extra hours needed.  However the teacher is expected to prepare resoyrces or whatever for the class as a whole, not individually differentiated ones..they just wouldn't have time.  So anything that your son needs over and above what the "regular" pupils need should be listed in his EHCP and provided for in some way.
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,103 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @Molly69 - & welcome to the community from me too. I hope you find the advice above helpful. :)
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,938 Scope online community team
    Options
    Hello @Molly69. How are you getting on? IPSEA which Ross linked to above are a great resource for help. I know it can be a struggle to get funded hours but as @forgoodnesssake mentioned, there shouldn't be a fixed rule on maximum hours. I personally know of a few children with full-time 1-to-1 support in mainstream primary education as part of their EHCP. 

Good luck challenging his level of support. Do you have anyone helping you with this? 

Also, it might be worth having a look at our Challenging an EHCP draft or EHC plan page or IPSEA's page on Appealing to the SEND tribunal.
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • Molly69
    Options
    Hi

Thank you all for taking the time to reply to my message ? I was feeling anxious about how to approach for more funding which is so desperately needed.
    I had a really successful meeting with the school SENDco who has agreed that his plan needs a thorough review and her words "he needs to thrive, not survive" she agrees he needs 1to1 full time so here's hoping ?
    I do really appreciate all of your comments. It's so good to have a group to turn to when I'm feeling lost or in need of some help.

???
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,103 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I'm pleased some of our members were able to help, but absolutely great to read your meeting went well, & hopefully appropriate changes will help your son (and you). Just to say if we can support you in any other way, please say. Thank you for the update, & please do post here absolutely any time. :)
  • Molly69
    Options
    Thank you, means alot ?
  • Lisatho11987777
    Lisatho11987777 Scope Member Posts: 5,911 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    @Molly69 so happy for you hope it all goes well 

Brightness