iPads for communication and wellbeing — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

iPads for communication and wellbeing

Options
alexia01
alexia01 Community member Posts: 5 Listener
I’m severely autistic with cerebral palsy and other disabilities that require support from apple devices, but with being on disability benefits, I cannot pay all in one for a device; would need to pay in several instalments. Is there any support available either in retail or any charities that supply Apple devices for communication and wellbeing? I depend on my iPad, which is just about giving up the ghost and in desperate need as I need it for communication through FaceTime and GarageBand to manage my music making. Any advice and support would be very much appreciated. 
Tagged:

Comments

• Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @alexia01 I'm sorry to hear your iPad is on the brink of breaking and I can imagine how much of a support it is for you.

One route to explore is checking to see if any charities or trusts could provide a grant.  You can use Scope's Grants checker tool to enter your details and see if there is anywhere you could apply to.

Also, it could be worth seeing if you are getting all the benefits you are entitled to.  Again, Scope have a Benefits calculator that will let you double check this. 

Failing this, it might be useful to look on websites like EBay to see if you can pick up a refurbished one to reduce the overall costs?

Good luck and please let us know how you get on :)
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • alexia01
    alexia01 Community member Posts: 5 Listener
    Options
    Thanks for this, but I used the grants checker but yielded nothing! If my iPad gives up completely it’ll be like chopping my legs, as it supports my independence and livelihood!
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi there 

Unfortunately you may find it hard to get credit if on benefits 

I know bright house used to give items in credit ti benefit applicants but they charge massive interest 

Another way could be through a catalogue like very or Freeman's 

I also think currys and argos have credit options 

Brightness