Can I ask ESA to switch me to UC, or am I best off waiting for them to switch me over? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Can I ask ESA to switch me to UC, or am I best off waiting for them to switch me over?

laney1970
laney1970 Community member Posts: 85 Connected
I need some help if I ring ESA department up can they switch me over to uc without losing my money I'm in the support group or am I best waiting until they switch Me over 

Comments

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,519 Disability Gamechanger
    You could do a benefits check with "turn2us" or "entitled2", but remember whilst UC is paying an additional £20 per week thats only till September, personally my advice would be wait until you are moved to UC which wont be any time soon and then you will get the transitional protection.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• laney1970
    laney1970 Community member Posts: 85 Connected
    Ok I will wait until they switch Me over thankyou for your help
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    edited March 2021
    If you did want to switch from ESA to UC you would not contact ESA. You would simply apply for UC. The act of applying for UC automatically triggers the end of ESA, Housing Benefit, Tax Credits etc. For ESA, HB and other DWP Benefits there is a two week run on before they stop.

Even without the £20/week add on many claimants were better off on UC than ESA but it depends on circumstances so definitely not something to decide without doing a benefits check. if doing a comparison I would deduct £86.67 from the UC amount to reflect what it will be when the £20 top up is removed (unless government extend it again).

Transitional protection is irrelevant for people who would be better off on UC anyway,
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    @laney1970, hello, I was on ESA support group for 4 years but as I was coming up to official retirement age my wife was told to apply for universal credit by our local council as our housing and council tax benefits will stop once I reach retirement age snd claiming state pension. So the council sent out this years council tax bill nothing to pay then once my last ESA payment was in my account I submitted a joint UC claim while still on my last 4 days of ESA support group. I was advised by the dedicated CAB UC team. Once the council where informed of our UC application our council tax benefits where with drawn. My state pension and my wife’s Carer’s allowance will be taken into the UC deductions and whereas we had our rent and council tax paid. Once the UC is worked out we will have to pay the rent and council tax out of the pension,UC and Carer’s Allowance and maybe the council will award us some assistance. So beware of UC once you apply there’s no going back I had no choice.
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    wilko said: Once the UC is worked out we will have to pay the rent and council tax out of the pension,UC and Carer’s Allowance and maybe the council will award us some assistance. So beware of UC once you apply there’s no going back I had no choice.
    Your UC entitlement includes the help with rent in the calculation. This replaces the Housing Benefit and the maximum entitlement will be the same.
    As you say, the State Pension and Carer’s Allowance is taken into account when working out your UC payable.
    Your Council will assess your entitlement to Council Tax Reduction once they know how your UC entitlement is calculated.
    Broadly I would expect your overall income to be slightly higher than before because UC pays more than ESA (unless you were getting a SDP in your ESA).
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.