Pip and esa — Scope | Disability forum

Pip and esa

firsttimepipper Member Posts: 29 Connected
Hi all...

So I've just had the good news I've been awarded pip.

I currently recieve ESA of 74.35 per week, looking at letters I believe this is income related ESA and potentially the work related group ( if this makes sense,  can't make much sense of it myself)...

I've been told about something called a disability premium which allows you to a higher rate of ESA  , really unsure about all of this so hope someone can help, it says its best to call the benefit office and ask them what your entitled to but as its weekend now I thought I'd see if anyone here had any idea about this benefit enhancement before I call them and say something to them that makes no sense at all...

Thanks if anyone can help I'm all ears


  • calcotti
    calcotti Member Posts: 3,434 Disability Gamechanger
    edited March 26
    If it is income based ESA, your PIP award includes the Daily Living component, nobody is claiming Carer’s Allowance for looking after you and there are no other adults in your household (unless they too get adisability Benefit) then you are entitled to the Severe Disability Premium.

    if ESA is income based and your PIP award includes the enhanced rate Daily Living component then you are entitled to the Enhanced Disability Premium.


    Disability Premium does not apply to ESA.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • firsttimepipper
    firsttimepipper Member Posts: 29 Connected


Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.