upper back pain for 18 years — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

upper back pain for 18 years

Options
brendan3150
brendan3150 Community member Posts: 4 Listener
dear scope forum 

i am writing this on my mothers behalf as she doesn't use the internet and any advice or help would be most appreciated.
i shall write my mothers description of how the pain first started and what her pain is like now .

my mother is 74 years old with severe back pain

about 18 years ago my mother was working in a restaurant kitchen cooking food, her boss told her she looked ill  with a blue face and should go home to rest until she felt better  , so she went home to rest . she says she couldn't wake up for 2 days and did not get out of the bed . 
ever since this she has had a pain in her upper back on the left side , she describes the area as behind her heart on her back .

ever since this happened she says she has been short of breath , pain in the back , feeling tired all the time , finds it hard to get out of bed in the morning, feels as though her back is always pulling her back to lie down or sit down .

she has had an xray, mri, ultrsound scans and the doctors have found nothing which gets her down as they can't seem to find the problem . as she is tired all the time the doctors tell her she has chronic fatigue syndrome, but she still has this back pain that is not getting better .

she has always been an active lady and trys to be as active as she can be even now with the pain .

any advice would be greatly appreciated 

thanks very much for reading
brendan

Comments

• Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @brendan3150 and welcome to the community, i'm sorry to hear about your Mum's pain and that doctors can't seem to find anything, this sounds incredibly frustrating. Unfortunately, we are not medical professionals therefore we cannot advise about what the pain may or may not be.

However, the community will be more than happy to share their experiences and share tips. I really hope that they find the cause or find some treatment which will ease her pain.
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • brendan3150
    Options
    thanks for your kind words Ami

hopefully someone can recommend some kind of treatment or advice as to what we should do .

• Sandy_123
    Sandy_123 Scope Member Posts: 49,893 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @brendan3150 sorry to read your moms in pain and unable to get diagnosed. I would go back to Drs see if any more tests they can do. Hopefully they can get to the bottom of it.
  • brendan3150
    Options
    hi @Sandy_123 ,  my mum has visited the doctors many times in the last 10 years and feels that she just gets fobbed off . they have done blood tests , all the scans but still can't find anything . 

• Sandy_123
    Sandy_123 Scope Member Posts: 49,893 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    @brendan3150 that's a bit disheartening for your mom, have you had second opinions. Or referrals, 10 years is a long time tho to keep trying. 
  • brendan3150
    Options
    hi @Sandy_123 . my mum has seen several different doctors and i think they all look at the previous scans and as nothing has shown up they don't know what to do , so put it down to chronic fatigue . she has been to the hospital about 3 times, and because nothing shows up on scans i don't think they know what to do either . 
    she wants an exploratory operation , that is how desperate she is to be better . 
    she will be going to a physio soon and hopefully they may have some suggestions to put to the doctors to explore as to what may be the problem 

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi there and welcome 

I would recommend visiting a chiropractor I suffered with back pain for a while and after no support from gp I went to a chiropractor and was so glad I did 

Brightness