If my husband gets PIP and ESA with an amount included for me, would I be able to claim pip myself? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

If my husband gets PIP and ESA with an amount included for me, would I be able to claim pip myself?

Options
mcs3365
mcs3365 Community member Posts: 4 Listener
edited March 2021 in PIP, DLA, and AA
can anyone tell me if my husband gets pip and esa with an amount included for myself would i be able to claim pip myself

Comments

• mcs3365
    Options
    my husband gets esa with a supplement for me i work 11 hours a week .he also claims pip and gets both the higher rates i broke both my femurs just befor xmas and i am struggling to get around and dailly activities as well will it affect my husbands money
  • mcs3365
    Options
    i want to claim pip  as well
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Your earnings affect the amount of ESA your husband is paid so if your earnings have changed he needs to inform ESA.

PIP is for long term health conditions so if your current difficulties all relate to the broken femur and you are expected to recover in the next six months then you do not meet the conditions for PIP. Obviously if there are other health long term issues that affect your ability to do things and/or get around then you can look at PIP. Make sure you understand it, see
    https://www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/personal-independence-payment-pip/pip-points-system

If you do claim PIP and are awarded it that could increase the amount of ESA your husband is entitled to if there are no other family adults live with you and nobody is claiming Carer's Allowance for looking after you. 
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,614 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    His PIP wouldn't include you so yes of course you can apply.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    @mcs3365, hello and welcome, as you know PIP is a benefit awarded to help with your daily living activities and mobility issues. PIP is not awarded on an illness, a disability, diagnosis or the amount of prescription medications you are taking but on your abilities to undertake, preform the PIP descriptors/ activities in the PIP application form repeatedly, safely and in a timely manner.  Take a self test on the Benefits and work site and see how you fair. Be honest with yourself as the answers you submitted in the application form will have to be justified at your assessment.
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi yes you can claim PIP if you meet the eligibility and have a condition that affects your daily living or mobility 

You may also be able to get carers allowance if you care for your husband 
  • Caz_Alumni
    Caz_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 621 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi @mcs3365 :)

Welcome to the online community! 

Just wanted to say hi and see how you were getting on? Hope that the answers you have received about your original post have been helpful to you? 

You might also find it useful to check out Scope's Benefits Calculator to find out more about your potential entitlements - and if you do have any questions about finding your way around the community, just give us a shout!

@Caz_scope :)
    Online Community Coordinator (she/her)

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.