Hi, my name is fendar! — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is fendar!

fendar
fendar Community member Posts: 5 Listener
HI I am in a situation I'm splitting up with partner but he gets all the benefits but the tenancy is in my name he is refusing to move out and won't take my name of benefits he says the house now belongs to him because the benefits are in his name anyone know how to get out of this I dont want to loose my tenancy but I feel trapped and might not have a choice to move out myself 

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi and welcome 

That is a new one on me and dont quite know the answer 

I would suggest you contact CAB who may be able to point you in the right direction 

Sorry couldn't help more other members may be able to 
  • fendar
    Thankyou  everyone I speak to say the same thing I was working but at to stop for cancer but he was already getting benefits that's why I ended up on his claim and now he thinks he owns everything even though the tenancy is in my name and I cant take my name of his claim esa said he has got to but he refuses to 
  • janer1967
    Difficult one as you are still living together could you tell him you will report him for false claim 

If benefits are in his name does that mean you have no money 

• fendar
    He gives me half of th benefits and I pay everything and he keeps his half to do what he wants and doesnt contribute out of his half and says he has already contributed because he give me half because it's in his name he says all the benefits are his 
  • janer1967
    I really dont know what to say 

Try CAB or welfare rights 

Do you have any family or friends for support 

You could also try the scope helpline 

0808 800 3333
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @fendar - & welcome to the community. I'm sorry about your difficult situation, & feel it might be an idea to get some legal help. Solicitors often will give you 30 mins advice at no cost. They could write to him giving a date when he has to vacate your home as he's not on your tenancy, but that would incur a cost. He certainly has no claim to the tenancy due to his benefits.
    I hope you are able to sort this out, & as mentioned above, CAB may be able to advise, or the Scope helpline too.
    Please let us know how you get on, thank you.
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    edited March 2021
    Hello @fendar

Welcome to the community, sorry to read you're going through this, it sounds like a tricky situation. 

If your name is on the tenancy then I'm not sure if it matters who has the most income when determining who has the right to live there. Is your partner not listed on the tenancy at all?

Also, do you receive any other benefits yourself? Do you get PIP for example? And is your partner claiming anything else other than ESA?

You might wish to seek advice from Refuge on your situation, and likewise from Citizens Advice
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    Welcome to the community @fendar :) Have you been able to take a look at the above replies? I'm also sorry to hear that you're in such a challenging situation. 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.
  • fendar
    Hi thanks for all your comments looks like I'm in a no win situation I have my granddaughter who I care for so until she leaves school I will after put up with it the only way out is womens refugeand I wont put my granddaughter through that thanks for your comments anyway 
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    Did you contact one of the organisations listed above @fendar? You shouldn't have to put up with it. A refuge can be a temporary solution whilst you find some more appropriate housing. It could be worth getting in touch with one to find out how they could help? 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.
  • Lisatho11987777
    Lisatho11987777 Scope Member Posts: 5,911 Disability Gamechanger
    @fendar you can speak to women's aid who can help you get re housed the council can rehouse you as an emergency and you can speak to shelter they can also help you get rehoused you won't have to go in a refuge they will put you to the top of the list explain everything and say you have your granddaughter 

Hope this helps  you will get help ?
  • vikingqueen
    vikingqueen Scope Member Posts: 1,411 Disability Gamechanger
       Before you do anything speak to your landlord and tell them you need to get your partner out. if your partners  name is not on the tenancy I honestly think he will have to leave .It is not his house, and he cannot make you leave. This happened to me albeit it was a long time ago. I'm not saying it will be easy but the law will be on your side. Speak to the benefits as soon as you can and explain the money situation and tell them you want to claim in your own right, don't be fobbed off. Try and ring a solicitor as chiarieds say. Stay strong for yourself and especially your granddaughter.
  • janer1967
    Please please please use some of the advice given 

Dont just stay put because its going to be difficult . It will be difficult for a while but it will be start of getting your life back 
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    As above, I agree with vikingqueen & Jane. Remember you are the named tenant of your home; your partner has to leave, not you. Please remember that....you don't need to be re-homed. Please seek some legal advice, a solicitor can say he has to be out of your home in a few days. Take care.

Brightness