Hi I'm jl11972! Should I highlight how my son's condition has changed or wait until the next review? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi I'm jl11972! Should I highlight how my son's condition has changed or wait until the next review?

jl11972
jl11972 Community member Posts: 9 Listener
edited April 2021 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hi I wondered if anyone has any advice. I'm an appointee for my son and applied for pip on his behalf in 2018. He has a lifelong condition and we were refused pip which was overturned at first tier tribunal in 2019 and awarded pip for 3 years. I have recently claimed again and submitted further evidence, and while pip has been awarded again until 2025 I am concerned that the award has been given based on the report from 2018 and my most recent form has been ignored showing how his daily living and mobility issues have got worse since then. My question is should I contact dwp and highlight the points he should have scored for certain descriptors or should I wait until I have to fill forms in again in a few years time? 

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi and welcome 

Ir is entirely up to you if you think he should have more points and if would get him a higher award then put in the mandatory reconsideration  

If he already got awarded enhanced rate then there is no point to doing anything 

They will have looked at the new form and evidence 
  • Sandy_123
    Sandy_123 Scope Member Posts: 46,851 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @jl11972 welcome to the forum you can phone pip  to let them know if a condition has got worse. 
  • jl11972
    @Sandy_123 I put it all down on the most recent form and they appear to have ignored it and based there decision on a form dated 2018?
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @jl11972 - & welcome to the community. You can certainly do a Mandatory Reconsideration (another decision maker will look at your evidence) if your decision was recent. You normally have one month from the date on your decision letter to do so. This is best done in writing, & try & give a couple of detailed examples for each activity/descriptor your son struggles with, e.g. when did it happen, who was there, why was it difficult, were there any consequences to attempting/doing the activity.? Did he need help, support, did he need prompting, could he do it safely, did it take him longer than someone without his disability? These replies need to be based on how he was at the time of his assessment. Please have a look at the following link, & read it all through first, then you can see the descriptors that are looked at with PIP:
    The above link shows the points that may be awarded, so that you can see if you feel he should have got a higher award. It's also giving these real-life examples that will help. You can also ask for a longer award if you can back this up with medical evidence if he is unlikely to improve. Put his name & National Insurance number on each page; keep a copy if you can, & get a Certificate of posting from the Post Office for your records.
    Unfortunately only about 17% of awards change with an Mandatory Reconsideration, but worth trying. Personally mine increased at this stage; someone's got to be one of the fortunate ones! I hope some of this may help. :)

• jl11972
    Hi @chiarieds I have already started writing the letter with details etc but I'm worried they may take away the award he already has. Does this happen? 
  • chiarieds
    Hi @jl11972 -  the usual outcome is his award would stay the same, tho in a few it's increased. He won't lose his award, that would be most unusual.
  • jl11972
    @chiarieds that's what I was hoping you would say. Thank you for your help I will continue with completing the letter and I will let you all know the outcome.
  • chiarieds
    You're very welcome @jl11972 - yes, please do let us all know how you get on. My best wishes. :)

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.