Panic attacks — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Panic attacks

Options
Lisatho11987777
Lisatho11987777 Scope Member Posts: 5,911 Disability Gamechanger
Hi sorry to bother you all  since I have had corona virus and started going out I have started haveing panic attacks again i fo go out and try not to show to people around me that I am haveing one 

I have seen my dr and she has confirmed they are panic attacks I need a different way to try and cope with them has anyone got any ideas if I can control it when it first starts but if I can't I go into a full blown attack which I had  the other day which was awful 

Thank you in advance 
Tagged:

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    @lisathomas50 sorry to hear about your attacks 

Is is going out generally or to certain places . Are you ok if you go with someone 

I haven't ever had a panic attack so dont really have any advice 
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,103 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi Lisa, I've suffered from these in the past. What helped me was concentrating on my breathing; try to get that under control, & breathe slowly but deeply. Practice the following to get the hang of this whilst you're at home: https://www.guysandstthomas.nhs.uk/resources/patient-information/therapies/abdominal-breathing.pdf
    Hope this helps.
  • Sandy_123
    Sandy_123 Scope Member Posts: 50,576 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I don't get panic attacks but I get anxious I always do distraction for anxiety, not sure for for panick attacks, 
  • Lisatho11987777
    Options
    @chiarieds thank you I need to get on top of it before it gets out of control @Sandy_123 thank you I fi distraction now but doesn't always work 
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,656 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Sorry to hear this @lisathomas50 senior management had some shocking panic attacks when she was going through the change, once she new there was something causing them they seemed to ease off.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Lisatho11987777
    Options
    @woodbine thank you I thought I was dying I couldn't breath I was going dizzy and I couldn't stand up  the dr said  its because of the pandemic and fear of getting it again so I need to cope with it better 
  • Lisatho11987777
    Options
    @janer1967 it happens any time I go out where there are people  as long as I stay away from people I can control them and if I am with someone I know they still happen but try not to show it to the other person which makes it last longer 

They start as soon as I go out the door I was only haveing one a day but they have increased to between 4 and six  if I don't go out I don't have them 

Dr is worried that I will soon become to scared to go outside which I don't want to happen 
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,492 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Panic attacks are really unpleasant, so I'm sorry you've been having them @lisathomas50.

Have you tried any grounding techniques? A lot of people find the 5-4-3-2-1 method helpful. I can explain it if you haven't heard of it before.

There's also no shame in trying out medication if that would help.

Often it's a case of trying out different things and finding out what works for you. If I'm at home I like to jump in the shower, but that's not possible when out and about :D 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map

Brightness