Hi, I'm Sad_Scotsman! I was recently diagnosed with Asperger's syndrome. Anyone else? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, I'm Sad_Scotsman! I was recently diagnosed with Asperger's syndrome. Anyone else?

Sad_Scotsman
Sad_Scotsman Community member Posts: 12 Listener
edited March 2021 in Autism and neurodiversity
Hi I'm a teenager who was recently diagnosed with asperger's and i didn't have an explanation for why everything seemed so complicated and difficult to understand till now. I've had a hard time sustaining friendships or feeling included and wanted and i often feel lonely or like I'm annoying to other people. I don't have a very good sense of what is and isn't dangerous so I'm inclined to do stupid impulse things that other people knew was dangerous from the get go. (Like hitching a ride from a stranger or going to visit someone i met online). I find it very hard to read other people's emotions as well as my own and lately I've just really needed someone to talk to. Hence I found this platform and wanted to see if other people struggled with the same things i do? 
Tagged:

Comments

• chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Sad_Scotsman - & welcome to this friendly & supportive community. I'm sorry to read that things have been difficult for you, but hope getting a diagnosis helps explain things a little. Personally I find having a diagnosis helps. I'm not on the autistic spectrum, but my son was said to be 'next door' to Asperger's by a neuropsychologist when he was 20 (about 14 years ago). Whilst I saw some of the difficulties he too had, especially socially, I celebrated the way he saw things differently, & found he also had strengths.
    We have several members here who are on the autistic spectrum, & some that suffer in different ways, so I think you will find a lot of understanding here. It's really quite difficult for many of us due to the pandemic, & many of us can feel lonely. Any way, I'm very pleased you've joined, as many of us find this community so very helpful. Please do talk here any time, as there's usually someone about. :)
  • Sad_Scotsman
    Thank you very much for your reply i didn't think anyone would come back to me that fast. I'm glad your son found some strengths in his difference in thinking ... I'm struggling to find or appreciate my own strengths but I'm hoping I'll get a little tougher and stronger as i get older.
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hu and welcome to the community 

I am sure other members will be able to share their experience

we are always around to help and support even if it's just to say hi 
  • chiarieds
    I think it's difficult enough being a teenager....not really knowing yourself, & I can find other people's emotions difficult to read other than my family.
    Are there any subjects you enjoy studying, or something you'd rather be learning? My son was interested in IT from a young age, but his school didn't really do much. He was bullied at school, but when he went to a 6th form college he found it much better as some students there shared his interests.
  • Sad_Scotsman
    I guess I'm quite interested in writing and in historical movies and cars. I'm a poet and a petrolhead so... I've had those as my longtime passions.. one of my favourite things to talk about is parenting.. not that i have any children of my own but i love kids and i can't wait to be a dad one day.

• chiarieds
    Part of your comment doesn't surprise me, as you write very well. I also like many historical movies, & used to write poetry until I was in my early 20's. I like cars, especially hand-built cars such as Morgans, & most things Porsche. You should venture into our virtual 'Coffee lounge,' where we definitely have a couple of petrolheads.
    You did surprise me with your parenting comment, but it's great to read you love kids, & I hope you become a Dad one day. So, you do have strengths, you see.
    Be yourself above all; people will either see you for the great individual you are (& it would be boring if we were all the same!), or not...their loss.
  • Sad_Scotsman
    I see what you're saying. I guess when i make friends with people or try to keep friendships going i don't tend to talk about those things i mentioned. Maybe part of my struggles is caused by me not sharing these types of interests. This has helped already. I will definitely go check out the coffee lounge. I'm more of an aston martin guy myself. Although bently and ferrari do make beautiful cars. Vintage cars are so cool to look at. Especially if you watch those restoration shows. Still there's nothing like the james bond car: the aston martin db4

• Sad_Scotsman
    What sort of historical movies do you watch? Could you recommend any?

• chiarieds
    It might sound strange, but I'm very interested in revolutions; the French & Russian, & also the Spanish Civil War, but I also watch films about WW1 & 2. One of the best series I've watched in the latter category is 'Band of Brothers.' This is about Americans in WW2, & I honestly didn't expect to be so drawn in to watching it. It really was compulsive, & with the 'real life' characters commenting at the end, just amazing. Obviously 'Waterloo,' but as my son's into maritime history, also 'Master and Commander,' set during the Napoleonic wars, so of interest to both of us.
    'Stalingrad' is also great; my son & I both enjoyed it, tho that's not the right word. I'll have to check the films on my USB sticks to let you know more. Also 'The Railway Man' based on Eric Lomax's book of the same name. The first bit I found a bit boring, but it definitely became a great watch....again not the right words, but definitely powerful.
    If you enjoy reading, try & get a copy of Guy Sajer's book 'The Forgotten Soldier.' This is about being on the eastern front during WW2 from another perspective.
  • Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    Welcome to the community @Sad_Scotsman :)
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • Sandy_123
    Sandy_123 Scope Member Posts: 46,788 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Sad_Scotsman welcome, I love writing fiction too, I don't do poetry. Plenty people on here to talk to and support 
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    Welcome to the community @Sad_Scotsman :) It's been great to see you on some other discussions already. Please to continue to get involved.

I've moved your post into our category for discussions relating to autism and Asperger's syndrome, and added a bit to the title so that other members will be able to find it more easily. I'm sure that many of our other members will face some of the same problems you do, so I'm sure you'll find good company here! 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.
  • Allymcd84
    Allymcd84 Community member Posts: 8 Listener
    I have also struggled with coming terms with my diagnosis
    But I am at the stage where it does make sense.

it is ok to Value yourself and your are a UniQue and Special Individual and you deserve respect and suppport where ever you can get it.

I would preserver with GPS and Scope is a kind and friendly outlet too.

Stay safe and Look after yourself well ♥️

Best Wishes ❤️ 

Brightness