Late mandatory rejected what do I do now? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Late mandatory rejected what do I do now?

piprejected
piprejected Community member Posts: 3 Listener
Hello
I put a claim for PIP in May 2020 and was awarded standard daily living for 3 years and no mobility, on a paper base assessment. 
At the time I knew I want to appeal. 
But I find it hard expressing my wishes and hard communicating with people so I didn’t follow up.

In December I was in a slightly better space and so tried to request a mandatory reconsideration. I wrote a letter explaining my conditions made it harder for me to get support with requesting it and that was why it was late and I detailed the points I felt I should have received and why. 

I got a letter today telling me my reason for late mandatory reconsideration request isn’t accepted.

Is there anything I can do or is this the end of the line? 

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi there 

Sorry to hear about your situation 

Does it say anything in the letter about appealing the decision 

I'm not too sure but I think you can take it to tribunal 

Contact welfare rights for advice and help also other members will adviseb
  • piprejected
    Appeal within the month against the refusal to accept a late MR and the refusal of PIP. 
    Sorry is that mean ask for a mandatory reconsideration for the decision to refuse my reconsideration? 
    I don’t understand what I need to do and feeling overwhelmed 
  • piprejected
    janer1967 said:
    Hi there 

It said something about if I don’t agree but I got upset and got rid of it and cried most the day instead so now I don’t know what I’m meant to do, sorry that sound stupid I just find hard to deal with these things and most post goes in the bin I only opened it as it was a brown envelope.

I can’t get help from citizens or welfare because I can’t talk to people very well 
  • janer1967
    Hi again 

I think there is a form you can download to lodge a tribunal appeal 

I will tag in another member who may know what it is 

@chiarieds can you help at all with this one 
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    Thank you for the tag @janer1967 -  hi @piprejected - you can either do this online using this link:
    or you can use this form, print it off & post it:
    If you need any help with this please let us know.
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    janer1967 said:
    Hi there 

It said something about if I don’t agree but I got upset and got rid of it and cried most the day instead so now I don’t know what I’m meant to do, sorry that sound stupid I just find hard to deal with these things and most post goes in the bin I only opened it as it was a brown envelope.

I can’t get help from citizens or welfare because I can’t talk to people very well 
    I think you need details of the Mandatory Reconsideration Notice in order to lodge the appeal so you need to find the letter or ask DWP if they will send you another copy.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • janer1967
    From what I remember from doing mine few years ago you have to send a copy if mr decision letter in with trubunalbpack 

So yes you need to either find it or request a copy 
    If you only got the letter today is it not still in the bin 
  • calcotti
    edited March 2021
    janer1967 said:
    From what I remember from doing mine few years ago you have to send a copy if mr decision letter in with trubunalbpack 
    You don’t have to do that now that appeals can be lodged online but I think you have to provide the date of the letter (but it’s a while since I’ve done one so I may be misremembering).
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • janer1967
    @calcotti thanks for the info was no such thing as doing it online when I did mine 

How times move on for DWP even about time they started to come into 21st century 

Always amazed me why they dont use email lot easier especially for those unable to use phone 
  • calcotti
    janer1967 said:
    @calcotti thanks for the info was no such thing as doing it online when I did mine 

How times move on for DWP even about time they started to come into 21st century 

Always amazed me why they dont use email lot easier especially for those unable to use phone 
    Online appeals are HMCTS (the tribunal service) rather than DWP.

Knowing how difficult it is to manage what comes into an email account I have some sympathy with DWP not having email as an option.
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    edited March 2021
    Hi @piprejected - if you have got rid of your Mandatory Reconsideration letter, you could ring the DWP on 0800 121 4433 & ask for a copy.
    When completing the form either online, or to post, you just need to explain that 'although your Mandatory Reconsideration was late, it was within 13 months, & was not considered, so you wish to pursue your right to appeal.'
    So you are now at the next stage after a Mandatory Reconsideration, & going straight to an appeal.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.