Carers on Universal Credit — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Carers on Universal Credit

Options
ponies
ponies Community member Posts: 119 Courageous
edited April 2021 in Universal Credit (UC)
My cousin is about to go onto Universal Credit. She was asked if She cared for someone. At the time of her claim, She wasn’t caring for anyone. She has been asked by a relative who gets Attendance Allowance, if She wants to care for them for 35hours or more a week. Her cousin has a partner, and doesn’t get pension credit. They both get pensions based on their N.I. Contributions. His partner cannot get Carers Allowance for looking after him, due to their state pensions. Been told as it’s an overlapping payment.
If my Cousin becomes his Carer whilst claiming U.C. will She be able to get extra money for looking after him. Will anything claimed affect her relatives pensions
Tagged:

Comments

• calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    edited April 2021
    Options
    If she declares that she is a carer she will then be entitled to the carer element of UC and will not be required to look for work. The only exception is if they already get the LCWRA element because the same person cannot be paid both LCWRA and carer.

However the elderly couple may first wish to check whether or not they would have any Pension Credit if the carer addition is included in the Pension Credit calculation.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • ponies
    ponies Community member Posts: 119 Courageous
    Options
    What does LCWRA mean? 
    Sorry I also don’t understand Carer addition in their calculation.
    They r not entitled to pension credit, because of their retirement pensions. Also his partner can’t claim Carers allowance.
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    LCWRA is the Limited Capability for Work Related Activity which somebody may have if they have a health condition which limits their ability to work.

Although a pensioner in receipt of State Pension cannot be paid Carer's Allowance they can claim it and this gives them an 'underlying entitlement' which increases their entitlement to means tested benefits. A carer addition would be added to the Pension Credit calculation so it is possible that there could be some Pension Credit entitlement even if there wasn't before. Even if there is it will be less than the Carer's Allowance somebody else could claim.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.