UC and group IP — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

UC and group IP

Options
rainrain
rainrain Community member Posts: 3 Listener
Hi, wondering if anyone can help? I have been off sick with employer for sometime now and can no longer receive SSP therefore moved over to my employers group income protection scheme. This is not mine but employers. It enables them to pay 60% of my wage.
when submitting UC I accidentally said this was other income’ however it’s not, as it’s my wage, goes via payroll and taxes/NI’d so will be reported as ‘earnings’ I have explained this to case manager but insists I am right?
basically my UC shows earnings as net group income figure and other income show the ‘gross’ I manually entered.
I have looked online and can see a few people have said I should be treated as salary/wage as taxed and National insuranced. It’s not an IIP and I have never contributed to it - employer is the customer to legal and general. 
Anyone else on GIP and claiming? 

Comments

• calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    edited April 2021
    Options
    Payments from an employer in this way should be treated as earnings. They should be reported by your employer through RTI in the normal way, you should not have to report them.

From what you have described the payments are being counted twice which is obviously wrong so I can’t see how any case manager could think it was correct.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • rainrain
    Options
    Thank you! This is exactly what’s happening to me. I have explained this to her via journal but not budging so might have to do MR. I have been googling endlessly and trying to come away with some clever bit of legislation but my head is hurting from it all ? Thanks again for confirming I am not going crazy. Have a lovely evening 
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    If you are getting nowhere then do an MR. Set out the circumstances in full and request a review of your payment calculations.

The GIP is effectively occupational Sick Pay.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • rainrain
    Options
    Hi, thanks I will do. That’s exactly what it is :) 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.