Carers allowance help — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Carers allowance help

Options
Cress
Cress Community member Posts: 1,012 Pioneering
Hiya
Have informed all the necessary benefit sections about temp change of circumstances ie my son is in hospital...my sons PIP has been suspended untill he comes hope, which is expected to be in the next week or two.
I recieve carers allowance and informed them online but when I rang about my income support the said they wont be able to give me any info untill they know what happens with carers allowance.
If I have not cared for my son for three or four weeks does it stop and if so, does that trigger a change for me to go from income support to universal credit?
Can anyone help?
Thanks.

Comments

• Cress
    Options
    Just bumping....
    I have no shame..lol
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    edited April 2021
    Options
    I’m not familiar with IS rules but there is a provision for IS to continue for 8 weeks after you cease to be a carer. So my interpretation would be that you should be fine as long as the gap in the PIP and CA does not exceed 8 weeks. However while the CA payments are suspended you will not be entitled to the carer premium in the IS amount.
    https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/893674/dmgch20.pdf
    20124 Where a person had satisfied any of the criteria in DMG 20116 or DMG 20120, they can continue to be entitled to IS for a period of 8 weeks from the date those criteria ceased to apply to that person.

Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • Cress
    Options
    Thanks for that!
    Did the change of circumstances for carers allowance online as had spent nearly all day on hold to various departments about other benefits so because of that income support said they couldnt help untill the ca had updated their info.
    Was just worried I'd have to apply for uc if there was a temporary break in caring.
    Thanks for putting my mind at rest.
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hopefully others may be able to confirm. What I’ve quoted is what I found in the guidance.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,492 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @Cress :) Has your IS continued to be paid along with your CA? 

I was also just wondering how you and your son have been doing? 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map

Brightness