Hi, I'm new here, and my name is Andy :) — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, I'm new here, and my name is Andy :)

Options
Andyy
Andyy Community member Posts: 2 Listener

Hi, I'm Andy. I'm a queer transgender man, and I suffer with various severe mental health issues. Alongside this, I'm type 1 diabetic, have moderate hearing loss and am possibly neurodivergent (with the latter two currently being investigated). Sometimes it feels very overwhelming to have all of these issues mounting up, but I'm also very grateful for my awesome support network, and am hopeful for the future. I'm hoping to meet some cool new folk here, and chat to people with a bunch of different experiences, as this is something I really enjoy. I also thought joining this community might help me come to terms with my own disabilities, as even now, living as I do, I almost feel like an 'imposter' attaching that label to myself.

That’s enough of a ramble for now, but I can't wait to get talking to you guys. I think it’s awesome that communities like this one exist, especially with things as they are right now. Solidarity and support might be more important than ever!

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi and welcome to the community and for sharing about yourself 

Have a look around and feel free to join in or ask any questions 

Pur virtual coffee lounge or recent discussions are good places to start 

Hope to see you around 
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,614 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    @Andyy  hi Andy and welcome to the scope community, you will find a great group of amazing people who offer support to anyone who asks for it.
    It's good to meet you and I look forward to seeing you around the forum.
    Happy Easter
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,492 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Welcome to the community @Andyy! It's great to have you with us. 

Scope is a pan-disability charity, so everyone is welcome here. We have plenty of members who live with mental health conditions, diabetes, and hearing loss, and who are neurodivergent too. We chat about all sorts of things on the community, so I'm sure you'll find discussions that interest you. You can always start your own too of course!

As the others have said, please do feel free to get stuck straight in. Don't hesitate to give us a shout if you need any help finding your way around :)
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,103 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @Andyy - & welcome to the community from me too. Thank you for joining us all, & I hope you enjoy being part of this friendly & supportive group. Try our virtual 'Coffee lounge' to meet some of our other members. Hope you have a good Easter weekend. My eldest grandchild recently identified as a transgender man, & it's giving him so much confidence being who he wants to be, & all of us in his family support him. :)
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Welcome to the community :) 
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • Caz_Alumni
    Caz_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 621 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi @Andyy

Just wanted to stop by, say hello and add my welcome :)

I totally agree with you - meeting new people and speaking about our different experiences is always interesting, isn't it? For instance, I'd be keen to know a bit more about what makes you say that you feel like an imposter? I completely understand what you're saying in that respect, but it would be good to get your thoughts on why you think that is?

Look forward to chatting with you again. Hope you enjoy the bank holiday weekend :)
    Online Community Coordinator (she/her)

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.

Brightness