Would I be eligible for esa — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Would I be eligible for esa

jasperbear
jasperbear Community member Posts: 8 Listener
Hi,hoping that someone could advise me on whether I could get ESA the support group. I currently receive pip for daily living.  I have been diagnosed with functional neurological disorder, fibromyalgia, peripheral neuropathy in lower body and arthritis in my hands.  So I suffer brain fog,  memory problems pain and weakness in lower body(to name a few issues) I have not worked for 7 years (I was a school cleaner) because I can't guarantee that any part of me will work properly.  So my question is would I be entitled to ESA.  Thank you 

Comments

• calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    edited April 2021
    New style ESA is a contribution based benefit. You can only claim if you have a complete NI record for the tax years 2018-19 and 2019-20. You will not have this as you have not worked for seven years, therefore you cannot receive ESA.

If you have low household income and savings of less than £16,000 you may be eligible for UC which can, after a waiting period, include extra money if you have health conditions that limit your ability to work and carry out work related activity (equivalent to ESASupport Group).

If you live with a partner UC takes into account your joint finances.

You can use a benefits calculator to assess entitlement
    https://www.gov.uk/benefits-calculators

However applying for UC will end any means tested benefits you currently receive (Tax Credits, Housing Benefit, JSA, ESA etc.).
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • jasperbear
    Hi calcotti, thank you for replying. That's disappointing news, but I will look into possibly trying UC.
  • calcotti
    If you are not eligible for UC you may wish to apply for ESA anyway. Although you cannot be paid anything, if you are found to have Limited Capability for Work you will be able to get NI credits which count towards your State Pension. If you do claim UC you will credits through UC anyway.

Obviously there is no need to worry about credits if you already have enough years of contributions for a full pension. You can get a pension forecast by contacting the Future Pension Service. https://www.gov.uk/future-pension-centre

Are you living just off your PIP at the moment?
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • jasperbear
    My partner works part time and has a army pension and I just have pip
  • calcotti
    edited April 2021
    My partner works part time and has a army pension and I just have pip
    You may not be entitled to nay UC because of your partner's income because entitlement will be assessed as a couple. However it's worth running the calculator. When doing so put in that you have LCWRA and that your partner is a carer. If that still shows that you have no entitlement then it's not worth claiming. 

If no UC entitlement check your pension forecast and if you need more years of NI for a full pension apply for new style ESA in order to be assessed and see if you can get NI credits. 

If claiming UC or ESA you will need a Fit Note from your GP to support the claim.

If no UC and your partner earns less than £128/week they could claim Carer's Allowance for looking after you (pension income doesn't count towards the £128). No point in claiming CA if claiming UC because the CA will just be deducted from the UC.
  • sben
    sben Community member Posts: 43 Connected
    It makes me feel that Universal Credit has spoiled everything.
  • calcotti
    sben said:
    It makes me feel that Universal Credit has spoiled everything.
    UC has replaced the income based ESA. Had you been claiming income based ESA the same issues re being assessed as a couple would have arisen.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.