Hi I'm lozzyD! I need to apply for PIP, but can't answer the phone or go to meetings. What do I do? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi I'm lozzyD! I need to apply for PIP, but can't answer the phone or go to meetings. What do I do?

Options
lozzyD
lozzyD Community member Posts: 1 Listener
edited April 2021 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hi , i have social amxiety and need to apply for pip but cant answer phone , go to meeting etc what do i do .

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi and welcome 

You could fave someone act as your appointee who deals with all the claim on your behalf but you would need to demonstrate you are not capable of dealing with it yourself,  I think there is  form to fill in 

To apply you have to call to request the application forms so don't know how you would get round that 

You can request a paper based assessment but will need evidence from gp stating you can't attend  f2f or phone assessment 
  • bg844
    bg844 Community member Posts: 3,887 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Write to PIP and ask for a claim form: Personal Independence Payment New Claims Post Handling Site B Wolverhampton WV99 1AH Once you have filled that in I would advise you to ask a friend or family member with help on the phone if you need an assessment. Put your claim in soon so you avoid the inevitable when F2F assessments come back, you never know.
  • OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,616 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    bg844 said:
    Write to PIP and ask for a claim form: Personal Independence Payment New Claims Post Handling Site B Wolverhampton WV99 1AH Once you have filled that in I would advise you to ask a friend or family member with help on the phone if you need an assessment. Put your claim in soon so you avoid the inevitable when F2F assessments come back, you never know.
    Have you done that yourself?  I tried it back in 2019 but they never sent me a form in the post.  Had to try and phone in the end, causing significant and long term consequences.

I can't have anyone else in my flat so having someone call on my behalf wasn't an option either.  It's another way in which the PIP process seems ignorant to the effects of some mental health conditions.  As I've said in other threads, I doubt they force chair-bound claimants up 4 flights of stairs.

I was awarded via paper based in the end.  But they still phoned to tell me that! :|
  • bg844
    Options
    @OverlyAnxious

My mother got a paper based form in 2018 by writing to them so not sure about it now, I didn’t like the idea of calling myself but as I was going over to PIP from DLA (currently in the MR stage) I couldn’t afford to loose my payment so had to call matter what. I know what being isolated does to people as it happens to myself daily as I can’t really leave the house much.

There’s plenty of advocate services which’ll join the call but some require a fee. There’s one on Facebook called PIPPS, fantastic service. I think something 100% needs to be done about this system. 

Maybe one day after C-19 we can all come together and protest for change?
  • OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,616 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I'm not sure how many socially anxious people and agoraphobics could attend a protest!  :D

I do hope there are more online options for PIP in future though.  Being able to request, or even fill in & return, the initial form online would be a great start.  Possibly even the use of 'webchat' type services for the assessment too for those us us that can't deal with verbal situations.

I know there are potential security risks there, but there are the same risks with phones...anyone can buy a cheap PAYG phone and pretend to be someone else.
  • cazza6565
    cazza6565 Community member Posts: 93 Courageous
    Options
    Why can't you apply online like you do for Universal Credit. I know they are talking about a roll out for it
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    It would be so much easier to gave the option to apply online 

They have been doing a trial with this as we did have a few members who did their application online so fingers crossed will see it happen in the not too distant future 
  • bg844
    Options
    @OverlyAnxious
    When I say 'protest' I mean online, I can't go in person either due to my significant restrictions. Don't know how it would work but we are a community and we must fight for respect. I currently don't claim Universal Credit but that system would definitely be a good advantage for many people who are not getting the support they need. I think a system in which you could manage your PIP/DLA/AA online would be miles better and would free up the phone lines for the people who can't do it this way. 

I never once called the DWP about my DLA in all the years I claimed it but now for PIP I seem to be on the phone weekly for updates on my MR as they have stopped my money all together. 
  • holly22
    holly22 Community member Posts: 4 Listener
    Options
    Hi.  I applied for PIP online.  I had to ring initially and they then sent me a link to apply online.  You can save what you write and return another time to continue with the form.  You can also upload all supporting evidence at the time of submitting your form. When I submitted the form I immediately got the text to say they had received it. So it's quicker than posting and waiting for DWP to scan onto their system. But apart from that not sure the wait will be any less.
  • holly22
    holly22 Community member Posts: 4 Listener
    Options
    I will still more than likely have to attend an assessment whether that be by phone or face to face though.
  • Caz_Alumni
    Caz_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 621 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi and welcome to the community @lozzyD :)

It's good to have you with us - but I'm sorry to hear that the reason you're visiting the online community is because you're having difficulty with your social anxiety. How are you doing today?

You'll see that some of our members have already made some practical suggestions for potential next steps in submitting your PIP application - including perhaps getting somebody to speak on your behalf. Is that something that you might be able to do, maybe?

Keep in touch and let us know how you get on with everything. Just give us a shout as well, if you have any more questions about the process, or you would like some help finding your way around the community :)
    Online Community Coordinator (she/her)

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.