Housing Costs — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Housing Costs

james19o6
james19o6 Community member Posts: 158 Courageous
edited April 2021 in Universal Credit (UC)
Good Morning 
I would like to ask you guys, My landlord has recently increased the rent as my contract expired this month and I have changed my circumstances yesterday in my Universal credit dashboard. I care for my mother and receive the carers element and then I have rang up UC they told me that I have exceptions in benefit cap which is good then. However in my to do list yesterday I had to upload 2 pages of my tenancy agreement and my utility bills etc. 
And my next payment is on the 15th April so do you think the increased rent will reflect on my payment this month? Also is there anything else I have to as its a first time for me?

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi and welcome 

You don't need to do anything else about the rent change 

You may see a slight difference in your payment but as payment is in arrears the rent won't have increased for much ic your payment period eg rent went up 5th April,  uc payment for 9th Mar - 8th April 

Hope this helps 
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    As janer says, the change in the housing element will be backdated to the start of the assessment period in which the change occurred. Whether or not that is actually included in your next payment will depend on whether or not DWP have got around to processing the change.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • james19o6
    Thank you very much for the information. Also will they contact or call my landlord at all? Because i cant even reach him most of the time so will they call him?
  • janer1967
    Hi 

I have just changed my rent costs and they did confirm details with my housing association. 

It happened very quick , I only know because the amount I put and housing association put was duffrrent so had notification to confirm in my to do list 
  • james19o6
    edited April 2021
    I understand I just hope then My landlord does anwer his phones. Because he increased the rent by £370 pound from this month on pathetic.
    UPDATED
    I have just checked UC site it states 

4.2 Notifying landlords that tenants are claiming Universal Credit

Private rented sector landlords

DWP does not have legislation to allow us to inform Private Rented Sector landlords that their tenant has made a claim to Universal Credit.

Does this mean they will not?

• janer1967
    Wow that is a big increase ? 
  • james19o6
    janer1967 said:
    Wow that is a big increase ? 
    It is indeed 
  • cazza6565
    cazza6565 Community member Posts: 93 Courageous
    Private Landlords can only increase rent between 0.5% and 5%. Someone please correct me if I am wrong 
  • james19o6
    cazza6565 said:
    Private Landlords can only increase rent between 0.5% and 5%. Someone please correct me if I am wrong 
    But my tenancy agreement has already expired so he told me that this is the new rent amount and i couldnt find anywhere else 
  • cazza6565
    cazza6565 Community member Posts: 93 Courageous
    He also has to give you notice for the increase
  • james19o6
    edited April 2021
    Yes he has indeed. I went for look the companies wanted a lot of deposit also they have done few credit checks which I failed. So instead of being homeless I had to accept it 
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,519 Disability Gamechanger
    cazza6565 said:
    I haven't heard that one? In any case this is for a new lease.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    edited April 2021
    james19o6 said:.. he increased the rent by £370 pound from this month ..
    Be aware that regardless of the actual rent you now pay your maximum UC housing element will be restricted to the relevant Local Housing Allowance figure Search for Local Housing Allowance rates by postcode or local authority : DirectGov - LHA Rates (voa.gov.uk)
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • james19o6
    I understand Thank you all for the information. They have just replied to my journal stating that they have booked an Telephone appoitment with on Monday to verify my housing costs! So does this means all the checks have been done and processed and just waiting for the call to verify?
  • janer1967
    I'm mot sure as normally it all just goes through without a call buf probably want to ask and verify the large amount it has increased by 
  • james19o6
    Good Morning Guys
    I just received a call from my landlord that on the tenancy agreement at the last bit next to our signatures he put the wrong date as in today but in 2020. Do you think i should let UC know through my journal or wait for the appoitment? I didnt realise it either he just told me 
  • janer1967
    Hi 

It may be that dwp queried it when they confirmed with landlord your rent cost 

No harm putting it in your journal and telling them at the appointment 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.