Hi I'm ajvinny! I've put in a formal complaint as I wasn't allowed to see my brother in hospital — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi I'm ajvinny! I've put in a formal complaint as I wasn't allowed to see my brother in hospital

Options
ajvinny
ajvinny Community member Posts: 4 Listener
My brother passed away at the LGI in January age 47. My father and I his sister, were told we could not go down to see him because of Covid, only to find out that the family room had 8 people in there waiting to see him, none family may I add, so a nurse at LGI told his father and sister could not visit due to Covid. I also contacted 02 as they keep all calls and will have the nurse telling us we were not allowed in. On the NHS website it says that all calls are recorded and kept for 40 days , only to be told they don’t record calls very misleading and wrong information. Lies in other words . I’ve put in a formal complaint about this but I really need a professional to help me and my dad get this sorted out . Any advice would be appreciated . Thank upu
Tagged:

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hu and welcome 

I am sorry for your loss and how you were treated 

Your first point of contact would be a complaint to pals which I presume is what you have done all you can do is wait for the response 

We are not professional advisers here just members who advise through personal experience 

You should speak to cab or a solicitor for professional advice but it may not be at that stage yet till you get a response to the complaint 
  • ajvinny
    Options
    I have gone to PALS. I’m just waiting as they have asked the nurses on duty that day who it was who advised us not to go . No one admitted it that’s why I’ve contacted 02 for my calls that day . Thank you for your reply it means a lot x
  • janer1967
    Options
    Your welcome I think you need to see what their response is first

What are you wanting the outcome to be ? 
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello @ajvinny

Welcome to the community, I'm sorry for your loss. 

It is very strange that you were told that you couldn't see him, but then found out others had turned up to see him. Hopefully the complaint to PALS provides you with some answers. 
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • ajvinny
    Options
    I know this, the call to LGI was At 12.52 from my mobile to ward L18, this will prove the nurse said sorry no visits down to Covid . There is something going on but I intend to get to the bottom of it . 
  • ajvinny
    Options
    This is the 2nd person I’ve lost due to neglect and lies, my mother who was 52 went into hospital in 2006 never came out, so the outcome I want is to sue the **** of them this time . I’m not disputing they do good for us, but they also cover a lot of things up. I’m livid that they’ve lied to me again 
  • janer1967
    Options
    I'm sorry for what you have been through 

Are you sure it is a case of neglect it's a strong accusation to make without any evidence ? 

I obviously don't know all the details but you need expert advise if you think there was neglect 
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,103 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @ajvinny - I'm so very sorry about your brother, & so young too. This pandemic has been truly dreadful for so many families, & I'm sorry yours was one of them. My daughter-in-law lost her Uncle due to Covid-19 last summer. It seems the policy where he was, was also no visitors, but his wife was allowed to visit when the nursing staff thought for sure he would die shortly. This must be difficult to know in many cases. I appreciate you want to find out more to help families in a similar situation, but this nurse who gave you the wrong information may have been one who also had helped to try & save his life.
    We all want answers when we lose a loved one, but perhaps it would help to talk to a charity such as Cruse, who can help with bereavement, as you need support for yourself too. Please see: https://www.cruse.org.uk/get-help/coping-grief
    As far as your Mum goes, any claim for medical negligence has to be made within 3 years, as I'm sure you know. I appreciate recent events must have also brought back the loss of your Mum at such a young age too.
    Altho, as mentioned, we are not professional advisors, we all will support you as much as we can. Please let us all know how you get on, thank you.
  • Lisatho11987777
    Lisatho11987777 Scope Member Posts: 5,911 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    @ajvinny hi proving negligence is hard you will need a certain amount of evidence the first thing you need to do is put in an official complaint  putting everything down and the reasons you belive are neglect 

You also need to get legal advice do you have a law center in your area or most solicitors will give you the first half hour sometimes an hour 

Hope this helps 

Brightness