should my friend get the £500 — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

should my friend get the £500

Options
anth22
anth22 Community member Posts: 188 Courageous
Hi, im trying to help a friend out, he is single and works and gets working tax credit due to disability. His question is should he be getting the £500 one off payment or do you have to be on Child Tax credit and working tax credit to get it. He has been trying for days to talk to someone at hmrc but he has found it impossible to get through, so im hoping someone on here can give him the answer he is looking for, Thank you.

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi and welcome 

The government website says you get the payment if you get either working tax or child benefit not that you have to get both 

So based on the info you have given he should get the payment 
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Anybody who on 2nd March was in receipt of Working Tax Credit or eligible for Working Tax Credit as part of a joint Working tax Credit/Child Tax Credit claim even if they don't receive any WTC due to income will receive the £500.
    https://www.gov.uk/guidance/new-one-off-500-payment-for-working-households-receiving-tax-credits
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • cazza6565
    cazza6565 Community member Posts: 93 Courageous
    Options
    it is due to be paid to those in receipt of Tax Credits on the 23rd April. It is the equivalent of the uplift for UC but as a one off payment for those still on Tax Credits
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,492 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @anth22 :) Just to confirm, the gov.uk page states: 
    If you’re part of a working household that receives tax credits, you may be eligible for a new one-off payment of £500. The new payment is being introduced to provide extra support when the temporary increase in Working Tax Credit ends as planned on 5 April 2021.

You may get a one-off, tax-free payment of £500 if, on 2 March 2021, you were getting either:
    • Working Tax Credit
    • Child Tax Credit and were eligible for Working Tax Credit but you did not get a payment because your income is too high to get Working Tax Credit payments
    You do not need to contact HMRC or apply for the payment. HMRC will contact you by text message or letter in April to confirm you are eligible.

If you are eligible, you should get your payment direct to your bank account by 23 April 2021. You will not see the payment on the online tax credit service.

Does that answer your friend's question? 

National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map
  • anth22
    Options
    Anybody who on 2nd March was in receipt of Working Tax Credit or eligible for Working Tax Credit as part of a joint Working tax Credit/Child Tax Credit.
    This is the part he doesnt understand could someone please explain what that quote means, sorry to ask.
  • anth22
    Options
    Thank you all so much he really appreciates your help.

• calcotti
    edited April 2021
    Options
    anth22 said:
    Anybody who on 2nd March was in receipt of Working Tax Credit or eligible for Working Tax Credit as part of a joint Working tax Credit/Child Tax Credit.
    This is the part he doesnt understand could someone please explain what that quote means, sorry to ask.
    If he receives Working Tax Credit he is eligible and should get it.

The second bit refers to claimants who are claiming Child Tax Credits and Working Tax Credits. Many of these claimants, due to their income, do not receive any Working Tax Credits, only Child Tax Credits. However, because they are eligible for Working Tax Credits, they will also get the payments.

People who claim Child tax Credits only and are not eligible for Working Tax Credits will not receive the payment.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • anth22
    Options
    Thank you so much calcotti :).

• anth22
    Options
    Sorry to keep pestering, my friend never got this extra payment on his working tax credit has he been missed out? The new payment is being introduced to provide extra support when the temporary increase in Working Tax Credit ends as planned on 5 April 2021
  • calcotti
    edited April 2021
    Options
    anth22 said:
    Sorry to keep pestering, my friend never got this extra payment on his working tax credit has he been missed out? The new payment is being introduced to provide extra support when the temporary increase in Working Tax Credit ends as planned on 5 April 2021
    It hasn't been paid yet. If you read what Tori posted earlier in her reply (and as also mentioned by Cazza6565) government have said it will be paid by 23rd April.
  • MarkM88
    MarkM88 Community member Posts: 3,127 Connected
    Options
    anth22 said:
    Do you mean he didn’t get the £20 added to his WTC? 
  • anth22
    Options
    sorry for late reply, yes markN88 that is what my friend was meaning.
  • calcotti
    edited April 2021
    Options
    anth22 said:
    sorry for late reply, yes markN88 that is what my friend was meaning.
    The £20/week will have been automatically included in payments made over the last year.
  • anth22
    Options
    Thank you and everyone for your help, much appreciated.
  • anth22
    Options
    Thank you all :) the information i got for my friend on here was correct they got their payment Monday.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.