Moving in with partner — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Moving in with partner

Dobbo1292
Dobbo1292 Community member Posts: 7 Listener
Hi 
Me and my partner are thinking of moving in together, however he works full time and I claim ESA, its income based and I'm in the support group, will my money stop when we move in together? I also get PIP but i dont really want to be that dependant on someone.
Thanks
Tagged:

Comments

• calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    edited April 2021
    If he works full time it is likely that will result in no ESA being payable if your claim is entirely income based. If any of it is contribution based that will not be affected. Check your award.
    PIP is not affected.
    If you claim Housing Benefit and/or Council Tax Reduction those will also be affected.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • Dobbo1292
    I thought That might be the case, but I’ve read conflicting things online... 
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Hello @Dobbo1292. Do you claim anything else such as housing benefit and do you know if your ESA is all income-related or contribution based at all?
    It may be worth you using a benefit calculator to see if you may be better off under UC.
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • Dobbo1292
    I think it’s all income based, but if I’m honest I’m scared to ring and ask. I’ll do a benefit calculator though 
  • calcotti
    edited April 2021
    Dobbo1292 said:
    I think it’s all income based, but if I’m honest I’m scared to ring and ask. I’ll do a benefit calculator though 
    Either find your last award letter and look at the calculation or ring ESA to find out if any of your ESA is contribution based. A calculator may not be helpful unless you know how your ESA is made up.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • Dobbo1292
    I’ll have a look for my award letter, god knows where it is though! The house isn’t ready for me and my partner yet so it’s not a massive rush of that makes sense 
  • calcotti
    edited April 2021
    When you originally claimed had you been in work before claiming or were you transferred from Incapacity Benefit? If transferred from IB you may well have some contribution based entitlement and if you were working in the two to three years before claiming you may also have contribution based entitlement depending on how much you were earning.
  • Dobbo1292
    I worked for about 6 months before I went off ill and subsequently lost my job. I was earning minimum wage 
  • calcotti
    Dobbo1292 said:
    I worked for about 6 months before I went off ill and subsequently lost my job. I was earning minimum wage 
    If that was your only work in the two to three years before claiming then it is likely that the award is entirely income based.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.