Hi, my name is twodogs! Moving house to live with my brother I am disabled will I lose my ESA & PIP — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is twodogs! Moving house to live with my brother I am disabled will I lose my ESA & PIP

twodogs
twodogs Community member Posts: 5 Listener
I'm moving house to live with my brother I am disabled will I lose my ESA and pip

Comments

• twodogs
    I am disabled I am moving house to live with my brother will I l9se my ESA and pip?
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi and welcome 

You wont lose pip I dont know about esa it depends what type it is and other factors 

If you tell us a bit more we can maybe help 
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @twodogs - & welcome to the community. Your PIP isn't a means tested benefit, & it will continue unchanged, just let the DWP know your change of address (& bank, if there's a change with this). Again, with ESA, you should report moving house, & this may have some impact if, for example, you get income related ESA, & receive the Severe Disability Premium, this premium would (usually) be lost as you can only receive this if you live on your own.
    As far as your brother goes, if he gets the single person's council tax reduction, that would stop. Your moving in 'may' also affect any benefits he gets.
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @twodogs and welcome to the community, glad you've joined us :) 

I hope you are finding your way around the platoform okay, if you have any questions don't hesitate to ask. I have altered the title of your discussion and moved it to a more appropriate category,. so that members have an idea of your question when they see the title :) 
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • Caz_Alumni
    Caz_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 621 Pioneering
    edited April 2021
    Hi @twodogs :)

Just wanted to stop by and say hello. Great to have you with us on the community - welcome along!

How are you doing today? Hopefully, the replies from the other members of our community have helped to answer the question that you put to us in your first post? 

Do just give us a shout if you would like any help finding your way around or if there's anything else that you would like to ask. :)
    Online Community Coordinator (she/her)

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • twodogs
    Hi please can you tel me someone has reported me to the council to say I’ve abandoned my home which I haven’t where do I stand 
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Have the council been in touch 

Was it a council property you lived in ? 

Did you give the required notice to the council or landlord ? 

If so you should have nothing to worry about 
  • Caz_Alumni
    Caz_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 621 Pioneering
    Sorry to hear about your difficulties @twodogs.

Do you want to tell us a bit more about your concerns? As janer1967 has mentioned, it would be good to get some more details from you so that our community members can better advise you on where you stand.

I know that you've already mentioned about moving in with your brother. Can you tell us anything else about your current circumstances and how this report to the council has come about?
    Online Community Coordinator (she/her)

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • twodogs
    as I disabled I don’t go out very much cause I can’t walk well so I don’t see anyone because of that some was as reported to the council as my bungalow has been abandoned 
  • twodogs
    I have no intention of moving out I’ve changed my mind 
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Hi @twodogs, if you're still living in your home you should be able to evidence that (maybe with utility bills showing usage etc) and explain to the council your situation and why it is your neighbours haven't seen you. If you're concerned at all about your housing situation it might be worth getting in touch with Shelter
    Community Manager
    Scope

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.