Hi, I'm Georgiana_Scope! I'm a student social worker and want to hear your views! - Page 2 — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, I'm Georgiana_Scope! I'm a student social worker and want to hear your views!

Comments

• Georgiana_Alumni
    Georgiana_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 47 Connected
    @chiarieds
    Thank you very much for your interesting story. As a student we do cover disability but as I am doing my placement with Scope I am lucky enough to get more training on it than my peers. I am interested in your comments about life experience. As a mature student I do have quite vast life experience of different issues including disability but have an interest in various areas of social work including youth offending for example and don't have any experience there! I wonder if I might be able to offer a fresh perspective to this new area and not be jaded but others might think I need more specific training? I think with most degrees and masters courses you are provided with a general overview of social work and then it is paid employment that provides actual specific experience. I have really enjoyed learning about the plights of disabled people and can identify with them but I still have a lot to learn and welcome the challenge
  • Georgiana_Alumni
    @MarkN88
    Thank you for taking the time to comment and provide a snapshot of your experience and I'm glad it was favorable, It certainly gives me a boost to think that there are positive perceptions out there. I do think the panorama style documentaries can show a very negative view of social work and as they are seen by millions do have a lot of influence on perception it would be nice to see more balanced views and perhaps hear about some of the success stories that don't make the news. Have a great day 
  • Lisatho11987777
    Lisatho11987777 Scope Member Posts: 5,911 Disability Gamechanger
    @Georgiana_Scope its also I think about what a social worker defines as being wrong  or is it just help needed  or struggling  I think when you start working in the field depending on which part of social work your working in only then will you understand 

Mostly social workers are told what to do by people who are higher up even if the social worker thinks its the wrong decision disability social workers aren't as bad as children and familys social workers 

I hope you will be one of the good ones and hopefuly stand your ground 
  • Lisatho11987777
    @chiarieds I read your thread but that was back in 2015 if you ever have the unfortunate situation to be in a children's and family hearing its a lot different 
  • Lisatho11987777
    There are one hundred and two thousand children in care and this is social services keeping familys together 
  • Georgiana_Alumni
    @lisathomas50

Thank you I do intend to be one of the 'good ones'

I have interests in disability, youth offending/probation and drugs and alcohol and can forsee a lot of crossover in each so I only hope I can do a good job and provide a good support for people. 

• Lisatho11987777
    @Georgiana_Scope drugs and probation are good areas I am an independent voluntary advocate and I represent people in children and familys crime drugs  I campaign also for help and support in all those areas and I help drug addiction withdrawal and rehab programmes  I cover alot more now I am not working at the moment and I look after my mum who has dementia 

I am currently campaigning for domestic abuse  children and familys keeping children at home with support  Disability campaigning  and campaigning to change law 
  • Lisatho11987777
    @Georgiana_Scope I wish you all the best in your social work 
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Georgiana_Scope & @lisathomas50 -  just looking online last night Lisa, that was the most recent relevant link I could find, which is why I often ask if links can be provided, so perhaps you have a more up to date link? This is a field I know very little about. However, it made me think, going back to disabilities in children, whether social workers learn about certain disorders, e.g. I have a genetic disorder called Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome (EDS), & have met the founder of the UK's EDS Support group. I remember her mentioning that some members had previously had difficulty as bruising, which can be a feature of this disorder, had been questioned in their children. EDS is thought to be more common than the 1 in 5,000 mentioned in the literature, so something a social worker might come across, & which I'd like to highlight here to raise awareness. Please see the last section, 'General'  in this link about 'Your child & EDS', which says, 'Be aware that, due to injuries and bruising, you may be accused of child abuse. Respond in a positive manner and explain about EDS calmly. This may even be a time for heightening the person’s awareness of EDS and saving someone else from the same accusation in the future.'
    Then there are other disorders such as Osteogenesis imperfecta, where there can be neonatal fractures.
  • Georgiana_Alumni
    @chiarieds
    Thank you for the information about EDS and the possibility of it causing bruising, this isnt something I was aware of. As a social work student I haven't had any formal training on disability but we do study legislation including the Care Act on supporting people who have impairments and possibly lack capacity. I think if you went into a specific social work role where you are working with disabled people you would get specific training on it as I do at Scope. There is a wealth of information though and I bet you will agree nothing beats hands on experience and lived experience from the expert themselves
  • Georgiana_Alumni
    @lisathomas50
    That sounds like a really worthwhile and gratifying position I would love to hear how you got into your role. Yes I have an interest in probation and youth offending as well as disability and other areas. I was a volunteer for many years for a drugs and alcohol service and found it vey rewarding. You must get great satisfaction from what you do especially in challenging the laws and trying to keep children with their families. Hats off to you!
  • Georgiana_Alumni
    @Georgiana_Scope I wish you all the best in your social work 
    Thank you so much, it's hard work and I'm only in  my first year but I hope to find a rewarding and worthwhile career in it
  • Lisatho11987777
    @chiarieds you brought up a fantastic point about bruising and fractures many children have been taken into care and found out after these children have been adopted there is so little awareness of these types of things 

To be fair @chiarieds there is so much that social services need to learn about  but they  do come to the wrong conclusions  I know some children do need to go into care but not as many as social services take into care and some of the reasons  that children are taken into care for are wrong 

It's a good subject but it's a very large subject and hard to get information because of the secrecy of the family court 
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    Georgiana_Scope said:
    Thank you for the information about EDS and the possibility of it causing bruising, this isnt something I was aware of. As a social work student I haven't had any formal training on disability but we do study legislation including the Care Act on supporting people who have impairments and possibly lack capacity. I think if you went into a specific social work role where you are working with disabled people you would get specific training on it as I do at Scope. There is a wealth of information though and I bet you will agree nothing beats hands on experience and lived experience from the expert themselves

Looking at the statistics Scope quotes that 13.9 million people have a disability, so 1 in 5 (don't know if this includes children, or 'just' relates to England & Wales), & 8% of children have a disability; this surely has a much needed relevance, & need of 'some' understanding by social workers. Please see: https://www.scope.org.uk/    Scope also highlights both disability & poverty here: https://www.scope.org.uk/news-and-stories/we-cannot-accept-a-system-which-allows-disabled-people-to-live-trapped-in-poverty/  

I do agree that nothing beats hands on experience, which will (usually) come after you qualify, however if you are getting specific training about disabilities with Scope now, that is all for the good.

• Sandy_123
    Sandy_123 Scope Member Posts: 46,788 Disability Gamechanger
    I've worked next to social workers when I worked with multi displinary teams, I think it depends on the person, some of the social workers were great, and did more then what they needed to, however I've also worked next to social workers who only did what they were asked to, never went out there way to get to know the person or their needs, went off sick when challenged. 
    So I've seen both sides of the coin. Work related.
  • Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    Just to chip in with my thoughts too!  I did an access course with peers who are now social workers, and the workload/constraints they are working under definitely doesn't make it an enviable job (well not for me!) so I admire you @Georgiana_Scope

What would make a good social worker in my opinion is someone who leaves pre-conceived cultural ideals of how people 'should be' to one side; who judges situations with an open, tolerant mind; and works from a place of compassion, wanting the best for those they are supporting.  It's easy to see people as 'cases' and not humans, just another piece of paper on a desk - admittedly an issue exacerbated by the complicated admin procedures - but I'd want to be treat with dignity and be given time to be heard as a person.  I know my friends definitely fit into this ideal when they started their careers but I also wonder how much the pressures of the job have chipped away at this being feasible in the long-run.

Also, I really hear what Mike is saying about structural inequalities such as poverty being the root cause of many problems social workers deal with.  They are putting out fires fanned by successive governments and the withdrawal of systems/services designed to help those most in need.  It's hard. 

I hope this hasn't painted too much of a pessimistic picture for you @Georgiana_Scope !! We definitely need people like you to drive the momentum forward, particularly for disabled people who have historically been oppressed and pathologised just for having different bodies - so thank you for giving our community time to talk to you!  Good luck with your time at Scope and I look forward to talking with you more  :)
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • Georgiana_Alumni
    @Sandy_123

Hi there, thanks for your response. It's upsetting to hear of social workers that do the bare minimum and do not respond to being challenged. Do you have any advice for a trainee?
  • Georgiana_Alumni
    @Cher_Scope
    Hi there
    Thank you very much for sharing your insights on this. I hear what you are saying about social workers needing to treat people as people and show compassion. In my role with Scope I am finding I need the same qualities. Is there anything specific I can do to avoid alienating disabled people in practice. What are the specific needs that matter to them? I really look forward to hearing from you 
  • Georgiana_Alumni
    @Username_removed
    Thanks for your further comment. I see what you mean about social workers needing to have training and knowledge around poverty benefit caps etc. I am getting a lot of support learning these areas at Scope. The benefits system is a minefield in my opinion and needs to be understood better to benefit all. I am hoping  individual social workers can make a difference in some way to peoples lives it's one of the reasons I entered the field of study. 
  • Georgiana_Alumni
    @lisathomas50
    Hi there

Thanks for your further engagement.

I can see what you mean about social workers jumping to the wrong conclusions and I can see the conflict between wanting to safeguard children and making sure other factors are not the reason for bruising and so on. IT's clear that more information needs to be made available on the conditions you talk about so social workers aren't as hasty in making judgement calls against parents that may well be innocent. 

I will definitely be doing more reading in this area

Yes its great to get more comprehensive training in disability from Scope I am learning a lot and hope it holds me in good stead for my career]

When you say a social worker must be experienced can you add to this? Do you mean in the area they are working or just life experience in  general. I always ask this when it comes to childrens and families work. Does a social worker need to be a parent for example? And could a person that is much older with plentiful life experience have more experience than a young  parent with little life experience. Or is experience not about time?

INteresting things to discuss I look forward to your reply

Brightness