UC said I never sent back assessment letter, which I did. Will I get backpayment for time I waited? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

UC said I never sent back assessment letter, which I did. Will I get backpayment for time I waited?

ross88ang
ross88ang Community member Posts: 3 Listener
edited April 2021 in Universal Credit (UC)
Hi peeps I've been on uc since September I did a work capability assessment in October  its now April and I've been chasing it up since. They constantly tell me there waiting for the decision and im in a que. Today I've had a message in my journal saying that I never sent back the assessment letter (which I did) and that there sending it me again to do the assessment. So I'm wondering does this mean the nearly 7 months I've been waiting won't be backdated ? 

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi and welcome 

If you get awarded lcwra there will be additional payment 

Any other outcome does not pay any more money 

The claim starts when you reported the medical condition but then there is the 3 payment period waiting time si payment is from 4th pay period and if you are awarded should be backdated to then 
  • ross88ang
    OK thank you im still abit confused to what they will backdate me I know that I will be awarded it as they have the fit notes and im also awarded pip. 
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Unfortunately that doesn't give you an award PIP is different benefit with different criteria 

I get enhanced PIP for both elements . My leg has been amputated so wheelchair bound,  also blind in one eye and was housebound but they found me fit for work.  I had to go to tribunal to get awarded 

Not trying to scare you but sending fit notes and getting PIP are of no relevance 

As for back pay if for example you reported condition 1st Jan then the waiting period of 3 months would mean Jan - Feb   Feb-march and Mar - Apr would be waiting months so payment would start from May 
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,519 Disability Gamechanger
    @ross88ang hi and welcome, sounds like they might have lost it in the system, did you get proof of posting when you sent it in?
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• ross88ang
    @woodbine I don't think I have the proof my mum sent it off for me il have to ask her. 
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Hi @ross88ang. Am I understanding correctly that you had an assessment in October? Have you requested a copy of the assessment report from that? It would seem unreasonable for them to restart the process.

Community Manager
    Scope

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.