Supermarket Customer service not accessible? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Supermarket Customer service not accessible?

66Mustang
66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,367 Disability Gamechanger
edited April 2021 in Coffee lounge
I have a small problem with a supermarket (I won't name the supermarket) that I was hoping to get resolved via a quick email. Last time I had a problem was about 5 years ago and I emailed them and the problem was resolved quickly and efficiently.

However, now, aside from using social media which I don't have, the only options for contacting their customer service are by phone, or a sign language video chat. I have trouble using the phone and I don't know sign language. :p

They obviously are mindful of accessibility as they have added the sign language option to be accessible to deaf people but they have not considered that there are people who are unable to use the phone for other reasons. I am one of those people.

I am a bit upset and am thinking of writing a letter to them about this however I don't want to be a "snowflake" because I am the first to criticise people who claim to be offended by stupid things like Poppy Day or Fireman Sam so I don't want want to be a hypocrite! However, I genuinely feel that I have been excluded from accessing customer service because of my issues.

I am wondering what people think. Am I getting upset over something stupid or is this a valid concern that I need to raise so that people like me have access to customer service?
Tagged:

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    I would say it's a valid concern customer service depts should be accessible to everyone.  I think there is a lack of understanding out there around the number of people who can't use the phone 

In the interim till it is sorted if you have an urgent enquiry could one of your family call . They may supply an email address 
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    edited April 2021
    I think a complaint letter is perfectly reasonable @66Mustang, although you may find their email address is still in use just hidden from view, I had to Google email addresses of a company recently as they’d been removed from their website but were still in use.

My partner can’t use the telephone either and recently wanted to cancel a subscription service.

She emailed them and they replied that she can only cancel by phone. However they wouldn’t let me speak on her behalf without her speaking first to give permission which she was unable to do. 
    A strongly worded email highlighting discrimination and accessibility soon changed their tune and not only did they cancel the subscription for her, they refunded the last two monthly payments as an apology. ?

It’s worth a try!
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • 66Mustang
    edited April 2021
    Thank you @janer1967 yes I think they should be accessible to all and I definitely agree with you r.e. lack of understanding!

Luckily it is not urgent, just some missing loyalty points which add up to a few pounds so I don't want to bother a family member but thanks for the suggestion.
  • 66Mustang
    Thanks @Adrian_Scope that definitely sounds discriminatory! I'm glad they changed their attitude in the end.
  • 66Mustang
    Thank you @Username_removed - I appreciate the advice.
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,519 Disability Gamechanger
    @66Mustang A snowflake? imho definitely not !
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Lisatho11987777
    Lisatho11987777 Scope Member Posts: 5,911 Disability Gamechanger
    I had to email tesco becsuse I couldn't get an answer on the customer service phone it was easier by email 
  • OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,586 Disability Gamechanger
    I also had a positive experience with Tesco via email recently.  

Had a less positive experience with another company though.  I challenged the lack of email accessibility through a hidden address but it wasn't even acknowledged.  But they did eventually do what I needed done without the use of phones.
  • AlexW_Scope
    AlexW_Scope Scope Posts: 224 Pioneering
    You may be interested in Scope's new report on supermarkets to see what we are doing to campaign on some of the issues.

Brightness