My dog — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

My dog

Options
Queenofdisabilities
Queenofdisabilities Community member Posts: 91 Connected
Hi all does anyone else have a dog  breed that barks a lot & i have very bad mental health illnesses.
When he starts barking it makes me get so emotional crying now.
I feel like the worst kind of angry horrible mum monster.
I didn't ask to be so seriously psyhically & seriously sexually abused its this evil,cruel,vile,sick psychos that hurt me.
They've turned me  from the bubbly strong woman I was to this emotional always crying wreck who gets angry/emotional when my German Spitz dog starts barking when the post woman comes or when someone goes down my road.
Im crying now coz I feel so guilty shouting at my beautiful cute baby boy!!
He was badly abused before I got him 3 years ago.
Its not my fault I can't help my past can I?
I feel so strongly about this as I don't have a cruel or nasty bone in my body.
Please help & support & advise  me whats wrong with me?

Comments

• Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @Queenofdisabilities

Try not to be too hard on yourself.  It's difficult dealing with the emotional repercussions of physical and sexual abuse and will take some time to work through.  Did you manage to take a look at the MIND link @Tori_Scope gave previously which offers support options for people who have been through abuse? If not, do try and give it a read and see if there is anything that you feel could help. 

As for your lovely little pooch, I'm sure the odd little shout to tell him to be quiet won't be too harmful.  Other than this, do you generally find him easy to look after?  If it was the case that having him was causing you distress day in, day out then it might be worth talking to someone?  Otherwise, I'm sure spoiling him with some affection, a good belly rub and a walk - if you can - would reinforce how much he is loved  <3
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • Cress
    Cress Community member Posts: 1,012 Pioneering
    Options
    If he's a persistent Barker you can get a special collar that 8000 amazon buyers swear by.
    It makes a beep everytime the dog barks and then a vibration if barking continues...Its totally safe ie doesnt cause any pain like those collars that used to give electric shocks...

Brightness