In celebration of our siblings — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

In celebration of our siblings

Options
Cher_Alumni
Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
edited April 2021 in Coffee lounge

Today (10 April 2021) is National Sibling Day, a global awareness day dedicated to recognising our brothers and sisters!

Although our brothers and sisters might have once been a source of annoyance (!), to have their unconditional love and support in our lives is a blessing and one that's good to reflect on, on days like today. 

Sisters sat in deckchairs together

Why is National Sibling Day important for disabled people?

The charity Sibs is an organisation set up especially for the brothers and sisters of disabled people. To mark today, Sibs are drawing attention to the attributes of siblings of disabled people that often go overlooked, namely - being an advocate and a carer, being patient as parents tend to the needs of siblings and lastly, being a constant source of love and support.  

To find out more, and learn what lockdown was like for siblings of disabled children, visit this BBC news article.  

Under the campaign name #Itsasiblingthing, Sibs are asking disabled people to celebrate this special day by:
  • Young siblings check out our YoungSibs website where we have a blog piece all about #NationalSiblingsDay2021 and how you can get involved.  Why not have a look at what BBC Newsround said about National Siblings Day including some Top Tips for Siblings?  You can also find colouring sheets at the bottom of this page.
  • Adult siblings can share the joy on social media with snippets, stories and photos. What’s your favourite childhood photo? What made you both smile or laugh when you were kids? Tell us your #ItsaSiblingThing and join the conversation. You can find more ideas of how to mark the day as an adult sibling here
  • Parents, don’t forget to tell us about those little sibling moments that have made your heart burst with pride – you know the ones – it’s just something unique between your disabled child and their brother(s) and sister(s) – #ItsaSiblingThing. Want an activity to share with your sibling child? Download our young sibling activity sheets at the bottom of this page
  • Organisations, charities and schools – we would love your support in raising awareness of siblings of disabled people! Let us know how you plan to celebrate, whether it’s with a classroom session, a sponsored event or sharing on social – we really appreciate you taking the time to recognise and acknowledge siblings on this important day

Thinking about our own siblings 

National Sibling Day gives us a great opportunity to reflect on what our own siblings or sibling figures bring, or brought, to our lives. 

I have one sister who has been an absolute rock throughout my life, be it helping me when my condition was flaring or being someone to rationalise my thoughts when things get too much.  We are very much Yin and Yang so it's great to have that balance and she also shares my sense of humour!  I am so thankful for everything she does for not only me, but our family.

How about you?  What does/did your siblings bring to your life?  Let's celebrate them!  :)
Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Good thread 

I would be lost without my brother,  in our twenties we went out drinking together 
    , shared same friends , even lived in his house as lodger 

I helped with his kids when they were little and we always went abroad as whole families 

He has been there for me since my last separation and since my disability 

He took my son in every time I went in hospital,  has become the male influence in tobys life and he does all my odd jobs 

Enough said wouldn't want him getting big headed 
  • Sandy_123
    Sandy_123 Scope Member Posts: 50,073 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Being the youngest of 7 i have 4 sisters and 2 brothers, we only keep in touch on social media, not really a close nit family to be honest. Maybe meet up at get together like weddings etc. Or the odd meal or coffee.
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,631 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I have a brother 4 years younger, we have never been close but tolerated each other, when I became ill 23 years ago I didn't hear a word from him for 14 years, he never once came to visit me in my many hospital stays, never lifted  a finger to help my family. We have had to have contact when mum became and passed away and then when dad was ill and died, we are sorting out the will etc but once thats done with I doubt I will really want anything to do with him.
    I had a brother in law and we were friends for 36 years, sadly he passed away when he was 52, he was more like a brother than my own will ever be.
    Families eh who'd have them? :/
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Lisatho11987777
    Lisatho11987777 Scope Member Posts: 5,911 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I have one brother we used to be realy close until he married I don't get on with my sister in law and have spent alot of time arguing with my brother since my mum was diagnosed with dementia I will leave it there lol otherwise it will be to long 

Brightness