My wife has been blacking out whilst fitting, causing bruising. Has this happened to anyone else? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

My wife has been blacking out whilst fitting, causing bruising. Has this happened to anyone else?

johnbucky
johnbucky Community member Posts: 13 Connected
Recently my wife has been blacking out whilst fitting. This is causing a lot of bruises, her meds have been increased, has this happened to anyone else.

Comments

• Sandy_123
    Sandy_123 Scope Member Posts: 46,706 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @johnbucky  sorry to hear about your wife's seizures, its not something I can relate to but some1 might be around to offer more advice.
    Might be worth going back to the gp and see if they can offer any more help too. Hope you can it sorted.
  • johnbucky
    Thanks for your reply,the neurologist is calling Monday to check up on her, it's just a really worrying devolpment, she fell of the toilet at 3am this morning head first, egg size lump this morning, if she falls again I'm call the paramedic thing is she's only just come out of hospital.
  • Sandy_123
    @johnbucky I can understand your concern but if you need to call the paramedics its best to call them, she may well be treated quicker for reason of falls. I'm hoping you can it sorted soon. 
  • Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @johnbucky

I can understand your worry here.  In-fact, I'd be inclined to call 111 now and ask for some medical advice in relation to the bump to her head and the increase in seizures.  It's always best to check when it comes to bangs to the head and I wouldn't want you waiting while Monday if there's even the smallest risk to your wife.  

Equally, if at any point you feel things are deteriorating further, call 999 and ask for an ambulance immediately.

I'm sorry things are tough at the minute and please let us know how you get on.  
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi and welcome 

Sorry to hear about your wife 

Unfortunately we are unable to give medical advice if you are concerned please ring either 111 or 999 

I would also suggest she gets looked over if she has bumped her head 

I will tag in another member who may be able to advise 

@woodbine anything you can add here? 
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,519 Disability Gamechanger
    Thanks @janer1967 and hi @johnbucky you say that she has recently been blacking out whilst having a seizure, does that mean that before she wasn't and was having absence seizures? If she has just come out of hospital have they changed her meds? That can often mean a change in the amount/type of seizures.
    It's obviously difficult to give detailed advice and if you have concerns over the weekend contact 111 and then have the conversation with the neurologist on Monday.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• johnbucky
    Thanks for all your posts, she hasn't got any worse since banging her head, and she really wouldn't want to go back to hospital, theve just increased her epilepsy meds so I'm hoping for things to settle down . Thanks again for all your kind comments
  • johnbucky
    Just an update I couldn't get my wife to the toilet this morning, she kept having short seizures then feeling weak so I called 999, theve managed to get her on a stretcher after inflating a seat. And taken her in againSo thanks again for showing you concerns. 
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi there 

I'm sorry to hear that but she will be in the right place hopefully will be result of her meds changing and they can keep her under observation  

• Sandy_123
    Hi @johnbucky sorry to read your wife has had to go hospital again, at least they can do tests and get right meds for her.
  • Cher_Alumni
    Hi @johnbucky

Thanks for the update and I'm sorry to hear things didn't improve.  You absolutely did right in calling 999 and I'm glad your wife is in hospital where she can be observed and get appropriate treatment.  Take it easy and please keep us updated with how she gets on.  Look after yourself  <3

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • woodbine
    Also glad she will now get the help she needs, keep us posted?

• johnbucky
    A update on my wife, she's home from hospital theve addressed low iron and vitamin d levels and started her on clobazam for her fits. Thanks again for you help scope
  • Cher_Alumni
    @johnbucky That's great news and good to hear your wife's iron and vitamin D has been picked up on.  I hope the clobazam helps her fits too.  Will she be getting regular reviews from someone at the hospital or your GP?

No problem, we're always happy to help :)  Look after each other! 

• chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    Thank you for your update @johnbucky - I'm sure you'll be pleased to have your wife back home, & I hope that her medication helps. Kindly let us all know how you both get on, thank you. :)
  • woodbine
    johnbucky said:
    A update on my wife, she's home from hospital theve addressed low iron and vitamin d levels and started her on clobazam for her fits. Thanks again for you help scope
    Thats good news, hope the clobazam works for her. Have they made any mention of a rescue medication?

• johnbucky
    My wife has a few midazolam syringes at home if the fits last longer than 5 minutes also nerology  are phoning her in 2 weeks time and her go rang this morning which was nice.
  • Caz_Alumni
    Caz_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 621 Pioneering
    @johnbucky So glad to hear that your wife is back home with you and that you're both doing OK. 

Like you say, nice to hear that your GP is keeping in touch and following up with you as well. You both take care and keep in touch whenever you get the opportunity :)
    Online Community Coordinator (she/her)

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • woodbine
    yes I have the midazolam syringes I used to have the rectal diazapam but the syringes are apparently much easier for my wife to use.

• Sandy_123
    @johnbucky good news about your wife being home and hew meds. Hope everything goes ok now for you both.

Brightness