Disabled Facilities Grant for Visually Impaired Teen. — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Disabled Facilities Grant for Visually Impaired Teen.

Options
Florrie
Florrie Community member Posts: 14 Listener
Hello, 

I'm new here,
Does anyone have any experience of applying for a disabled facilities grant?
My son (18) has a visual impairment.
His bedroom is very small with a sloping ceiling, he has one velux window which he cannot properly see out of. 
He is extremely short sighted and I think not being able to exercise his long vision much due to the small size of the room, and lack proper window doesn't help. He has tripped on his desk chair a few times due to the small size of the room.
Really we are hoping for an extension to give him the room he needs. 
Our mortgage company will not lend us anymore. I've read that income is disreagrded for under 19's.

The lady who has reffered me to OT has told me NOT to show OT any of the other rooms when OT visits.
But won't they insist on looking?
Does anyone has any advice?

Thank you

Comments

• Florrie
    Florrie Community member Posts: 14 Listener
    edited April 2021
    Options
    Starting point for would be what is the VI? Your assumption about the impact of using long vision may be incorrect. However, the severity of the VI is absolutely going to be relevant to a DFG application.  
    His Visual Impairment is moderate. He has Optic Nerve Hypoplasia and Congenital Staitionary Nightblindness.
    So he experiences Nightblindness, Photophobia and he is extremely short sighted.
    His vision is not fully corrected with glasses.

Brightness