Social Housing Bungalows - not eligible as under 55 - Page 2 — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Social Housing Bungalows - not eligible as under 55

Comments

• Martynh
    Martynh Community member Posts: 33 Courageous
    newborn said:
    The o.p. was about bungalows, which the author was annoyed to find are reserved for disabled elderly, not necessarily freely allocated to dog owners.
    I wasn't annoyed that they were allocated to disabled elderly and not pet owners, I have absolutely no idea how you came to that conclusion !

They aren't reserved for disabled elderly, they are reserved for over 55+ (I'd hardly call 55 elderly!), and most do accept pets.

What I was bothering me was that there's a mimimum age limit and that this is seen as perfectly fine legally, which means under 55 disabled people are pretty much limited to flats, and we have a dog that would bark non stop if there was noise from upstairs (but not from next door).

There is a massive shortage of accessible properties, but I don't agree with restricting them by age, especially when anyone over 55 without need of an accessible property can apply for them (there's no requirement to have health or mobility issues or a disablility, you just have to be 55 or over).

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    My neighbours live in a bungalow same as me they are a couple in their late 20s with no disability I am amazed really 

There are so many elderly or disabled people needing this sort of housing how can it be right 

They could live in any type of housing . It's not their fault they were allocated it but just shows the system is all wrong 
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Martynh - I'm sorry you're currently facing this dilemma, & hope your neuro-rehab appointment may prove helpful. I must admit I came across something a little similar several months ago. Not ever having looked at available accomodation for anyone before, I was somewhat shocked that there was next to no sheltered accomodation available in their vicinity unless you were 55+ (in some cases 60+). There was, which was good, new build accommodation for those with mental health by one housing association, but it seemed like it was incredibly difficult to find accommodation for someone younger than 55 with a physical disability in that sector too.
    It definitely seems 'wrong' that someone without a disability may get an accessible property solely by being aged 55+, so I share your frustration. Anyway please do kindly let us know how you get on following your appointment, & hope this is a way forward looking at your needs. :)
  • Martynh
    Many councils seem to have online forms you can use to refer yourself for a needs assessment. Have you tried that instead @Martynh
    Unfortunately mine don't, you have to phone them. Obviously won't covid they are under pressure and short staffed, but I do keep trying to call.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 1,651 Connected
    newborn said:
    The o.p. was about bungalows, which the author was annoyed to find are reserved for disabled elderly, not necessarily freely allocated to dog owners.
    Most Housing providers have a "No Pets" policy anyway, the Housing Assocation here do, otherwise I'd have a small dog, about 3 years ago one of my Neighbours had 2 dogs, a cat, and a Budgie, someone reported her (and no, it wasn't me) so she got the boot.

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,358 Disability Gamechanger
    I've always had cats and lived in rented properties for 18 years and never had any problems and i've lived in social housing and privately rented.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Martynh
    newborn said:
    Most Housing providers have a "No Pets" policy anyway, the Housing Assocation here do, otherwise I'd have a small dog, about 3 years ago one of my Neighbours had 2 dogs, a cat, and a Budgie, someone reported her (and no, it wasn't me) so she got the boot.

Pets are allowed in most social housing here, there are very few properties where they aren't allowed.
  • Garza
    Garza Community member Posts: 149 Pioneering
    i think the housing situation for disabled people is very challenging, I am a wheelchair user in a small 1 bed flat, I would love a bungalow or something slightly bigger, there is nothing in my local privately either in my price range or with the adaptions I would need and the council and housing associations have all said there is little to no chance of me getting a move 

In terms of buying i dont think bungalows are being built that much any more which is a real shame
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Martynh said:
    Many councils seem to have online forms you can use to refer yourself for a needs assessment. Have you tried that instead @Martynh
    Unfortunately mine don't, you have to phone them. Obviously won't covid they are under pressure and short staffed, but I do keep trying to call.
    That's good @Martynh, I would urge you to keep trying. You would think that, especially in the current times, they would have an online form. Perhaps something to suggest to them when you finally get through? 

Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • blues
    blues Community member Posts: 9 Connected
    I moved into a housing association bungalow when I was 53, a young woman with a child with a disability lives in the one opposite to me. Where I live we're placed in bands according to eligibility, the properties are advertised and we have to apply for each one we're interested in, the property is then allocated to the person in the highest band applying who has been on the list the longest. Although I wasn't in the highest band I was offered a bungalow I'd applied for after a few weeks of being on the list, the problem was we aren't given the full address or allowed to look inside before making the application, the bungalow I was awarded was unsuitable for my disability and I had to turn it down which meant I wasn't allowed to apply for another for a year. I learned to go to the road where a bungalow was advertised and look for an empty bungalow with workmen's vans outside then I returned in the evening or weekend and had a good look through the windows to see what they were like. I eventually applied for and got a bungalow that was OK for me. We are allowed to keep cats and dogs although there's a limit, I think it's two. 
    My bungalow wouldn't be suitable for everyone due to the size, the bathroom is so small the door can't be fully opened as the toilet is behind it and there's no room for a bath just a shower, the kitchen is tiny too like a corridor, one of the doors can't be fully opened because of the kitchen unit behind it. 
    I think I probably got a bungalow as there isn't a great demand for them where I live whereas there is a big demand for family houses which is where I lived previously owned by the same housing association.
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Thanks for sharing your experience @blues, I'm glad you were able to get a place.

You mentioned that you are allowed to keep cats and dogs, so do you? I'm curious :) 
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 1,651 Connected
    Lobbying local government on disability rights is a complete waste of time IMO, especially when the Tory government was voted in by disability bashing Daily Fail readers.

• MarkM88
    MarkM88 Community member Posts: 3,127 Connected
    My local council advertise their properties and when I last looked into this option for my mum, they advertise their bungalows I think for the same age range, 55 plus, however it also states that if you have an active PIP award you would also be considered. 
  • blues
    blues Community member Posts: 9 Connected
    Thanks for sharing your experience @blues, I'm glad you were able to get a place.

You mentioned that you are allowed to keep cats and dogs, so do you? I'm c

I moved in with an elderly cat and when she died I got a rescue cat, she's been great company during shielding.
  • Martynh
    MarkN88 said:
    My local council advertise their properties and when I last looked into this option for my mum, they advertise their bungalows I think for the same age range, 55 plus, however it also states that if you have an active PIP award you would also be considered. 
    Unfortunately they have said it is a strict 55+ with no leeway.
  • Martynh
    So, it's been a while!

Social services have finally been out and were recommending a through-floor lift, but unfortunately the only location it could have gone isn't suitable without totally reconfiguring upstairs, so they are going to to a feasibility study into building an extension for either a kitchen (and create a bedroom and wetroom in the kitchen/dining room, or a bedroom and wetroom in the extension.

They are also writing to the housing association to try and get them to allow us a second bedroom for equipment and future needs, so we will see what happens.

Things are finally starting to happen, but neither option will be quick - the adaptations will take 12-18 months if they can be done, although I may be moved up the priority list because of how often I fall down the stairs (and in general).
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    That sounds like some positive news @Martynh, even if things are moving slowly. Thanks for keeping us updated!
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.
  • Martynh
    Thought I should do an update on this :)

Thanks to Social Services sending in a letter of support, we were put onto the housing system as requiring a 2 bedroom bungalow or ground floor flat, then as we have been suffering from ASB by a neighbour, the police also supported our application, and the local housing association decided to allow me to bid on properties for over 55's.

After several false starts (bungalows we were too of the list for being withdrawn without them letting us know, so we spent weeks waiting to find out) we have just accepted a lovely 2 bedroom sheltered bungalow, which also means I will have an emergency pendant in case I fall and can't get back up.

The bungalow is only 5 years old and is better than we ever expected. 
    We are just waiting for the formal offer and handover date (the latter should be next Friday).
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    Thank you for your update @Martynh - & I'm pleased it's so positive for you. Enjoy your new home. :)
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    That's great @Martynh :) Thanks for the update!
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.

Brightness