Esa and inheritance new home — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Esa and inheritance new home

jamesdex
jamesdex Community member Posts: 4 Listener
Hi,
I am about to inherit money from my late father's estate that takes me over the threshold of capital allowed. However i am planning to buy a house with this money in the next 6 months that will put my savings back to near zero. I understand income based ESA will be stopped and that I need to inform the DWP. My question is will my ESA claim remain open so that I can easily reinstate my claim once I have dropped below the required amount? Or will i have to go through a whole new claim and medical and all of that horribleness? Also, during this period will the DWP continue to pay NI contributions and will I still get free dental and prescriptions?
A weird situation to be in....i am getting some money, yay! But I am losing my income.... boo!
Any thoughts or steers welcome.
Just tested negative for covid after being close to someone (outdoors) who tested positive 3 days ago.
So yay! But not yay! For my friend.
Funny old world.
Thanks people of this discussion board.
James.

Tagged:

Comments

• calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    When you go over the savings threshold your ESA claim will end unless some part of it is contribution based. If that is the case the contribution based part would continue and when the capital drops you can then be reassessed for income based.

If none of the ESA is contribution based the claim will end. You will still be entitled to NI credits on grounds of LCW. It is possible that DWP will treat the ESA as still open because you re getting the credits and allow you to reactivate it, but to my understanding, they shouldn't and if the claim is closed you will not be able to claim ESA again and will have to claim UC instead. 
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • jamesdex
    Yes, none of it is contribution based. Sorry what is LCW?
    Over to UC and a new assessment... That sounds horrible.
    Thanks for your reply.
    All the best.
    James.

• Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    @jamesdex

From Citizens Advice
    You might be able to get Universal Credit without having to work or look for work. This could be because of sickness, injury or mental health problems. Depending on how your condition affects you, the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) could say you:
    • won't have to work or do anything to prepare for work - called having 'limited capability for work-related activity' (LCWRA)
    • won't have to work, but you might have to do some regular tasks to get ready for work - called having 'limited capability for work' (LCW)
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.
  • jamesdex
    Hi tori
    Oh that's what LCW is thanks. I am currently in the work related activity group for ESA but to be honest i havent heard from the DWP  for ages due to covid.
    Thanks
    James.

• calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    LCW is the same as ESA WRAG.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • jamesdex
    Ok thanks calcotti.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.