Am I able to stay on ESA if partner moves in? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Am I able to stay on ESA if partner moves in?

Kitty1
Kitty1 Community member Posts: 46 Connected
Hi there 
Could anyone advise me please? I am on income based ESA, support group and live on my own. I also get Housing benefit. I used to get PIP, standard care and enhanced mobility. This finished at the end of February 2021. I have put my form in but it will be sometime before I hear if I have been successful. Due to PIP finishing I lost my SDP that was paid with my ESA. 

My partner is not working and has not claimed anything as we are planning for him to move in with me and hopefully he could claim Carers allowance in the future. ( If my pip is successful) My question is can he move in and become part of my ESA claim. Am I able to report a change of circumstances with ESA and Housing benefit without triggering a change to UC? Thank you if anyone knows the answer to this.  

Tagged:

Comments

• calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    You can report a change of circumstances to ESA and HB and your claim will be recalculated based on joint circumstances. Note that he will not actually be a claimant.

if your PIP is successful and he claims CA your ESA will have a carer premium added but the CA will be deducted from your ESA.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • Kitty1
    edited April 2021
    Thank you so much for your reply. Could I just clarify, it definitely wouldn’t trigger a move to UC?  Oh gosh, just thought! Would a claim for CA trigger a claim for UC? I’m sorry for all the questions. It is so complicated. I don’t want to do the wrong thing. Thank you 
  • calcotti
    edited April 2021
    Kitty1 said:
    Thank you so much for your reply. Could I just clarify, it definitely wouldn’t trigger a move to UC?  
    No it will not. If you are told otherwise that is wrong.
    Kitty1 said:
    Would a claim for CA trigger a claim for UC? 
    No it will not.

As an aside, as a couple you might actually receive more benefit  on UC.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • Kitty1
    Ok I will put it into the calculator first. Just looking into everything as it’s quite a scary thing. Thank you very much for your help :) 
  • calcotti
    If doing a comparison bear in mind that UC currently has an extra £20/week which is due to end in October.
  • Kitty1

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.