disabled access problem advice needed please — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

disabled access problem advice needed please

bobives
bobives Community member Posts: 7 Listener
hi my name is bob [removed by moderator - full name] and i am a new member. i have recently become a wheelchair user, i am 73. i need my landlord orbit housing to adapt the main door to my flats so i can open and close the door with a fob from my chair. orbit have refused to help, because the door is in a communal area. have any other members had similar problems, and if so how did you get around the problem. thanks in advance.

Comments

• Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    edited April 2021
    Hi @bobives

I'm sorry to hear you've come against resistance in asking for that adjustment.  Are you coping alright getting in/out in the meanwhile?  

Unfortunately, it does appear to be the case that landlords don't have to allow adaptations to shared areas, but you can ask even if you're not entitled to them by law - as you have.  Was this an informal request you did or something formal in writing?

The team at Shelter are great for offering advice around housing issues like this and I'd recommend getting in touch with them via their online chat service or by calling 0808 800 4444 (open 8am-8pm weekdays and 9am - 5pm weekends). 

Equally, Citizens Advice has an informative 'Asking for adjustments to help with your disability' webpage that talks through the next steps where adjustments aren't agreed to.  

I've moved this thread to our 'Housing and independent living' category and wish you lots of luck.  Please let us know how you get on. 

Also just to advise - we've removed your full name from your post as to protect your identity.  Please visit our online community guidelines for more information about content that is/isn't permitted.  
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • bobives
    bobives Community member Posts: 7 Listener
    the first time i spoke to them by phone, they said that i would need to produce a letter from a doctor or occupational therapist. the second time i sent an email also the third. i am considering returning my wheelchair if i cannot use it. i am very down as i am in constant pain all the time, i thought i was finally getting some help.
  • Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    edited April 2021
    Hi @bobives

That sounds very frustrating.  I'd recommend contacting Shelter on the free helpline number above or via their online chat function to discuss the options available to you.  Try not to be too disheartened, there may still be a way yet that means you can keep your wheelchair. 

Also, have you spoken with your GP about your pain levels?  If not, do keep them up to date with how things are going and how the situation is impacting your mood.

Good luck and please let us know how you get on.
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • MarkM88
    MarkM88 Community member Posts: 3,127 Connected
    My recommendation would be to also speak to your local authority and ask the adult social care team for a needs assessment. 

If they include this as a recommendation, then this will more than likely hold more stance in terms of chances of getting the adaptation. 

Brightness