Grants to buy a laptop or tablet? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Grants to buy a laptop or tablet?

Iyi
Iyi Community member Posts: 4 Listener
Hi
I have a client who is on ESA  and PIP, she wants to get connected online and learn new skills  -  she needs a grant to buy a lap top or tablet, any ideas where to search? I have explained to her that she could consider buying good used laptops on eBay or other platforms. Most grant Trusts rarely fund equipment like laptops or tablets, just wondering whether she can realistically access grants for this purpose.
Many thanks in advance for your suggestions.

Iyi
Tagged:

Comments

• Lisatho11987777
    Lisatho11987777 Scope Member Posts: 5,911 Disability Gamechanger
    If your client wanted to do online learning with open University they would give them a grant for a laptop and any other equipment required

You could ask esa as loans are given but has to be paid back or they may be able to advise you 
  • MarkM88
    MarkM88 Community member Posts: 3,127 Connected
    @lisathomas50 have you a link to the grant that covers laptops for the open university? I’ve never heard of that before. 
  • Iyi
    Many thanks for the advise, she is not on an Open uni level yet, just to start doing stuff online really, but really appreciate your suggestions....
  • MarkM88
    Turn 2 Us have a grants search facility you could try on there. 
  • Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @MarkN88

You could potentially get a grant for a laptop via a Disabled Student's Allowance (DSA) assessment; that's on the proviso that you don't currently have one or it's identified as equipment needed to support your studying needs.  The only drawback is, you would be expected to pay an initial £200 contribution, however this would possibly be reimbursed via the Open University's Study Related Cost Funding

The government website explains more about DSA eligibility and how to apply.  

@Iyi Here's a link to Scope's Grants Checker Tool that may be of some use too.

Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • MarkM88
    @Cher_Scope ah thanks that’s interesting to know. 
  • Lisatho11987777
    @MarkN88 once you enrol as a student you have options to apply for grants I applied for my course work to  be paid  and I applied for equipment as a disabled person I had a computer table that goes to different heights with a remote control I had a chair thats made for your disability  and I had a laptop and a few other things and I got my 1200 a year grant 
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,519 Disability Gamechanger
    OP if your client is on ESA and PIP could they not afford a tablet they really are very cheap now for a basic one, the last one a brought was an amazon fire less than £70
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Iyi
    Thanks so much, I did say to her that these things are not that expensive anymore, will reiterate that to her.
  • Lisatho11987777
    @Chloe_Scope I didn't have to pay anything when I had mine don't know if its because I am in wales I was shocked how much I was given 

I had to go to an appointment  to be measured for my chair and what colour I wanted and talked about different equipment I had alot of things they were telling me what I needed the laptop I have upgrades to the new windows when it's out I had a voice control  speakers  two different types of mouse  and pads I had a computer trolly if I was in a normal chair I had a lap table I had a foot rest my table is electronic goes up and down if I need to stand for a whilst the desk rises I had quite alot 

I also had my fees paid and still got my yearly grant and any books that were needed so I was quite pleased 
  • Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    @lisathomas50 That's good to hear! The disability support I got whilst in higher education was equally brilliant and it always saddens me to hear when others don't have similar experiences.  

@lyi Has your client had any luck in getting a laptop or tablet yet?  
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Brightness