Have you ever made an accessibility complaint? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Have you ever made an accessibility complaint?

Ross_Alumni
Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
edited April 2021 in Coffee lounge

Should you make a complaint about the accessibility of an app or website?

That is a question I’ve asked myself many times, and I’m sure you have too. In a time where demand for digital services has never been higher, the importance for apps and websites to be accessible to disabled people is enormous. 

Everyone has a right to access and use online public services and information. These digital services exist to help people to do essential and everyday tasks. From booking a GP appointment to renewing a passport.

Public sector websites and mobile applications should be accessible, they should be easy for everyone to use. That includes for people who:

• use assistive technology like a screen reader or speech recognition software
  • use browser customisations, like increasing magnification or changing colours
  • have difficulties with anxiety or concentration
  • are dyslexic or autistic

Accessible public services – what the law says

Accessibility Regulations say that public sector organisations have a legal duty to:

• make sure their websites and mobile apps meet accessibility requirements
  • publish an accessibility statement

To do this, organisations need to follow the Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG). These help make digital services easier for people to see, hear, understand and use.

These Regulations apply to public sector organisations including:

• Local councils and parish councils
  • Central government departments
  • Most NHS organisations
  • Most universities and colleges
  • Some charities and other non-government organisations
accessibility complaints banner showing the heads of 7 people on a yellow background to the left of the text which says accessibility complaints process your questions answered

Central Digital and Data Office and The Big Hack

The Central Digital and Data Office (CDDO) and The Big Hack by Scope have collaborated to produce a guide focussed on how to make an accessibility complaint about a public sector website or app, along with a series of frequently asked questions in relation to the subject.

The intention is to  encourage more disabled people to use their voice and point out where barriers still exist. Likewise, government, service providers and ombudsman need to ensure that legislation is enforced and complaints are listened to and acted upon.

Providing your feedback to an organisation can help improve the accessibility of websites and mobile apps for you and many other people who use the digital service. 

Research shows that only 1 in every 10 disabled people who encounter barriers online will make a complaint, but The more an organisation hears about accessibility from people who use their digital service, the more likely it is that accessibility will become a higher priority. 

Sadly it’s often unclear as to how users can raise complaints and escalate them, so that’s why the CDDO and The Big Hack have created a step-by-step guide to the accessibility complaints process, including some frequently asked questions. There is also a ready-made email template you can use to send off to companies about their online processes.

You can find the resources below:

Give us your thoughts

• What are some of the most common accessibility barriers you face?
  • Have you ever made an accessibility complaint before?
  • What do you think about the accessibility complaints process?
Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    I must say I was impressed with the gov website yesterday when I filed for divorce online 

Fingers crossed it stays that way 
  • wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello as a disabled person using a class 3 mobility scooter a new housing development was going well but near the end of the build the access point to the new development from busy roads had railing staggered across each entry/ exit. I could get through if I went beside the railings but not between which if the council or developer put a fence alongside the path. So on contacting my local councillor she took up my case and a few months later the distance between the railings was made wider and a recent input of railings are set at the desired distances. Very few pavements on the development or markings for the blind or those with poor eye sight. No undulations for them to feel through their feet when near a road this was mentioned but nothing was done.
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger

Currently on my 4th accessibility complaint. 1 success against an employer. 1 success against a public transport provider. 1 success against a web site. About to cover several bases with a complaint against an accessibility group. 
    Glad you've had success in the past when making a complaint about accessibility.janer1967 said:
    I must say I was impressed with the gov website yesterday when I filed for divorce online 

Fingers crossed it stays that way 
    I'm also a fan of the government website in terms of accessibility. The layouts are often simple enough and the pages are screen reader friendly
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • Globster
    Globster Community member, Community Volunteer Host, CP Network, Scope Member Posts: 2,369 Disability Gamechanger
    @Ross_Scope
    I made a complaint against a Specsavers store because I could wheelchair in their room for my slight test there had a refurb and said they consult their disability to see if the shop was accessible for wheelchair and was asked if could get wheelchair my dad had hold head against equipment. I never went back to that I even wrote a letter to the manager of the manager in a letter just apologised for that in this day age you would expect from a big company like specsavers.
    I never went back to the store now I go boots for an eye test because big rooms for my wheelchair    

I am a Community Volunteer Host. Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.

• veriterc
    veriterc Community member Posts: 241 Pioneering
    Would now be a good time to campaign for 'SCOPE SHOP@ stickers to show somewhere was accessible?  Not only would such a scheme show Scope members and others what was accessible, but possibly get more custom into a shop.  Win win for all.

Brightness