Fibromyalgia — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Fibromyalgia

JasperA12
JasperA12 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
Hi guys
I have fibromyalgia for 4 years now. Its been not so bad at first but now to this day I can barely walk without being in pain this is a recent thing and I was thinking of getting a walking stick or a mobility scooter so I can still have bit of my freedom. But I don't know what to do people will judge me. 

Comments

• Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @JasperA12 :) Welcome to the community.

I'm sorry to hear your fibromyalgia is affecting your mobility. It's understandable that you'd be worried about people making judgements about you for using a mobility aid, but I don't think this should stop you from using one. At the end of the day, your freedom to get out and about independently is more important than what other people may or may not think about you.

Is there something in particular that's worrying you? A certain judgement that people might make, or a certain situation in which you're worried about being judged? 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi and welcome 

Sorry your condition has got worse 

Try not to worry about being judged use what aids give you the best quality of life that's the important thing 
  • JasperA12
    Thankyou I have ordered a walking stick just to prop me up and stop me from being in pain to much 
  • Caz_Alumni
    Caz_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 621 Pioneering
    edited April 2021
    Hello @JasperA12

How are you doing today? Hope the sun's shining where you are :)

So sorry to hear about your ongoing issues with pain from your fibromyalgia, but I'm glad that you've taken the decision to get hold of a walking stick, particularly if you think that is going to help stop you from being in quite so much pain. 

I know it can often be difficult to completely ignore what others think of us, but at the end of the day, your quality of life is so much more important to you. 

In that respect, can I ask, have you spoken to your GP about pain relief? Or do you have your own self-help strategies that help to ease your fibromyalgia symptoms? Just wanted to check that you're getting the support you need to manage the pain from your fibromyalgia?

Take care and do keep in touch if you would like any further advice from the community. 
    Online Community Coordinator (she/her)

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • JasperA12
    Thankyou for caring. My doctor didn't want to discuss medications so I wasent best pleased. I wouldn't mind if did have some but got gels and hot water bottles ect hot baths help. But it's just walking far I don't think I can do anymore short distances are not so bad but I get tired easily. And I don't like that. I'm depressed and miserable plus got gallstones too and waiting for an operation life and got mental health so life isent to good 

Brightness