how to block noise and light, to sleep? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

how to block noise and light, to sleep?

newborn
newborn Community member Posts: 832 Pioneering
Somewhere I read a user list of handy hints, including two of great interest.
a) How to block sound at night, not with earplugs, but instead with earphones which are suited for sleeping in. 
b) How to block light at night, with a mask which does not press the eyeballs.

I cannot find the list, (was it forwarded via  somebody else's Mumsnet connection?) Does anyone have any clues or  solutions?  
Tagged:

Comments

• Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    This is an American centred list @newborn, but it might give you an idea of the kinds of products that are out there. 

Eyemasks shouldn't press on your eyeballs. It might be a case of trying a few different ones out in different sizes to find one that is loose enough it doesn't press down, but also doesn't fall off during sleep. Could you try making your bedroom darker during the night instead? Is that an option? 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.
  • newborn
    Thank you. The things seem to be substitute noise to drown out noise, and I have tried many masks without finding one which does not press on the eyes. I was optimistic at the list the person made on.....(Where?) If it was mumsnet, I couldn't enter it myself as I'm not a member.  I think there are disability sites and publications but I don't have any subscriptions or memberships
  • Caz_Alumni
    Caz_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 621 Pioneering
    I managed to track down this webpage on The 10 Best Sleep Masks as well @newborn. It looks like a couple of the options on that list have eye pockets which could be helpful if you're looking for options that don't press down on the eyes. 

It's also a fairly recent list from March 2021, so hopefully these products should be available to buy at the moment. I am afraid I can't make any particular recommendations about the products themselves, but it could be a good starting point for you to explore further?
    Online Community Coordinator (she/her)

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • newborn
    Thank you Caz, that's great.  Will check it,  it sounds promising.   
    The noise thing I'm looking for is blanking, rather than trying to play some different noise. I think for  the daytime there are noise blanking headsets, but they are not intended to be suited for lying down.  The source l mislaid had info on exactly that.
  • Caz_Alumni
    Caz_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 621 Pioneering
    Super! Hope that list does actually prove to be helpful to you @newborn :)

Ah, right. Yes, I see what you mean about the headphones. I have to admit I haven't come across such a thing, but I'll keep an eye out on my online travels. 

Maybe other members of the community might be able to shed some light (  ;) ) on appropriate noise-blanking headsets that are suitable for sleep?
    Online Community Coordinator (she/her)

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.

Brightness