Hi, I'm Bob44! My PIP claim was turned down, I'm disheartened. — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, I'm Bob44! My PIP claim was turned down, I'm disheartened.

Bob44
Bob44 Community member Posts: 13 Connected
edited April 2021 in PIP, DLA, and AA
And this morning I got a letter turning down my pip claim and taking off me the mobility part that I've had for 12 months. I've got copd,bronchiectasis,high blood pressure and depression with anxiety. So disheartened the letter sounded like they were talking about someone totally different to me.

Comments

• Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    edited April 2021
    Hi @Bob44 and welcome to our online community.  It's nice to have you here.

I'm sorry to hear your initial PIP claim wasn't successful.  Do you plan on asking for a Mandatory Reconsideration (MR)?  If you decide to do this, it is best to focus on strengthening your evidence using real-life examples of what happens when you do the daily living activities you believe you should have scored points on, including giving detail about what happened when you last did the activity, who was there, where you were and what the consequences were.

To be assessed as able to complete an activity descriptor reliably, you also need to show you can carry it out 
    safely, to an acceptable standard, repeatedly and in reasonable time.  Therefore, if this isn't the case for any of the activity descriptors be sure to evidence that through anecdotes about the previous times you attempted it.  

You mention that you have depression and anxiety too and I wondered if you felt like you were getting enough support with that?

Just to advise, I've also moved your thread to our PIP, DLA and AA category and tweaked the title to help others better understand what you've written about :) Sending you lots of luck and please keep us updated. 
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi there 

Sorry to hear about your PIP claim as above you might want to consider doing a mr 

Did you only have a 12 month award in place before ? 
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Bob44 - & welcome to the community. Try not to be so disheartened by your PIP decision letter. I know what you mean in that they sometimes sound like they're about somebody else. This is because there are quite a lot of phrases that are just 'cut & pasted' into letters according to the assessor's opinion, so can therefore seem 'inaccurate.'
    So, if you decide to ask another decision maker to look at your claim again, i.e. a Mandatory Reconsideration (MR), do include a couple of really detailed examples for each applicable activity as Cher has suggested. These should be for how you were at the time of your assessment.
    Always put your MR in writing, not forgetting to put your name & National Insurance number on each page. Ask for a Certificate of Posting at the Post Office, & try & keep a copy for yourself too.
  • Bob44
    janer1967 said:
    Hi there 

Sorry to hear about your PIP claim as above you might want to consider doing a mr 

Did you only have a 12 month award in place before ? 
    HI thanks for replying, no it wasn't just 12months but I was doing the right thing and informing them of changes in my circumstances with meds and worsening condition and it started a complete renewal. 
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    It does start a new assessment if you report a change 

There is no need to report a change in meds or condition unless it significantly changes your ability to perform the tasks.  And you should always get expert advice before doing a change 

Anyway its a bit late now all you can do is the mr now 
  • Bob44
    Thanks for your replies. They have already started a MR as I phoned to chase them and they did it over the phone, I will be putting all things in a letter this weekend. The letter today said "I was intelligent and understood the process ? so my understanding is people with intellect don't have depression or breathing problems. You couldn't make it up. Anyway thanks. On we go!!
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Welcome to the community @Bob44, glad you've joined us.

I'm glad to hear that the MR process has started, I wish you the best of luck with that. Let us know how you get on.
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.