Pip review form. — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Pip review form.

miricleman0718
miricleman0718 Community member Posts: 26 Connected
edited April 2021 in PIP, DLA, and AA
hi all
I filled in my PIP review form and sent it off in February I got some help from a guy at the citizens advice bureau who seem to know what he was talking about and deal with this sort of thing all the time as I was a bit worried, Well a lot worried actually the stress from it As my condition with all my injuries has got worse not better.  Ongoing issues with my mental health being stuck in 24 seven I'm not being able to do anything and not because of the Covid I was bad even before the Covid I struggled with having to learn to walk again and also problems with my incontinence my stomach 2 hernias mental work in my pelvis and various other problems which I've been too embarrassed to talk about I  now have been in touch with the my stoma nurse to get me some help. Anyway I've got phone calls about a  from the PIP department in February asking me loads of questions over the phone it was like talking to somebody on the phone you had no clue what happened to me or what I was going through and continue to go through. So he said I would have to go for a medical assessment which I'm really nervous about. ?‍♂️?

Comments

• Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @miriclemons07

Welcome to the community, glad to hear you've joined us. 

It's completely normal to be nervous about the assessments, but I'm sure you will do well with the right amount of preparation and encouragement :) 

Are you still receiving support from CAB in the run up to the assessment? Have they advised you on the process and how best to prepare? 

I have moved your discussion to our PIP category, in the hope that other members will see your discussion and offer their thoughts.
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • miricleman0718
    I've not heard a peep from the guy (russ)who I spoke too since the day he gave me the completed  form back which was mid February. He said he was going to but nothing from him or anyone from cab. Out of sight out of mind.?‍♂️
  • Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    edited April 2021
    Hi @miricleman0718

Do you have Russ' contact details or an email address you used to liaise with him?  If so, I'd get in touch to update him and ask if he can offer any further support.

Face to face assessments began to resume (from 12 April 2021) and if this is what the person from PIP was referring to, you should receive an appointment by letter.  

I'm glad to hear you've contacted your stoma nurse for help in relation to those stomach issues.  Are you currently receiving any support with your mental health?  I know being stuck in the house a lot can impact mood and I wonder if you'd benefit from speaking with your GP about it, if you haven't already? 

Please let us know how you get on and good luck!
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • miricleman0718
    Yes I had a visit from my stoma nurse this morning to assess see how I'm getting on with everything, she going to contact my bowl surgeon or secretary about my problems I'm having with it, and she also going to contact and lady to sort me out a better support belt, I've also done a self referral for the bowl clinic for my incontinence problems just waiting for that.  I've been in touch with talking matter about my mental health issues and anxiety issues She did it over the phone assessment about my mental health and state of mind but there is 3month wait before anyone see you. ??‍♂️ I'm on sertraline and amertripterline. From the quacks. Just had confirmation of inguinal hernia from ct scan in December. I am just recovering from a knee Operation which was the result of a fall in the garden due to my balance issues. The list goes on and on and on I feel I'm hitting a brick wall trying to get help. Covid hasn't helped either. ????
  • miricleman0718
    The rang me up on 27feb asked loads questions over the phone, it was like speaking to somebody who didn't know my condition or what I'd been through all going through and then I received a text message that they may send me for a consultation with a health professional. 
  • Cher_Alumni
    Hi @miricleman0718

Oh heck, it does sound like you have an awful lot going on physically and I'm glad you have got in touch with the relevant people for support.  Are you able to manage okay with activities of daily living i.e. cleaning, bathing and getting shopping ?  And, do you feel you have enough support?  One option that you might want to consider if not, is getting a social care needs assessment.  This NHS webpage explains more about it and that:
    You'll need to have this assessment before the council can recommend a service such as:
    • equipment like a walking frame or personal alarm
    • changes to your home such as a walk-in shower
    • practical help from a paid carer
    • day care for your child if either you or they are disabled
    • access to day centres and lunch clubs
    • moving to a care home
    If this is something you feel like you'd be interested in, then you can apply for a needs assessment via this government webpage.  

Also, I realise many mental health services have long waiting lists at the moment, but if ever you need it, you can visit this link to Find a local NHS urgent mental health helpline.  Or contact: 
    • The Samaritans on 116123 or by emailing jo@samaritans.org
    • SHOUT by texting 'SHOUT' to 85258 to speak to a trained crisis volunteer
    I hope you have a lovely weekend and speak soon :) 

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

• miricleman0718
    No my sister her partner and my next door neighbour help me with everything, my neighbour converted my garage to a bedroom with en-suite, he has gone above and beyond to help and continue to do so he's even made me my walking sticks and other adaptations as well as other stuff to to get me by day to day.  When I spoke to talking matters but my mental health and anxiety and everything else they mention social care but no one is come forth and help me out I'm literally left to it. My bathroom can easily be converted to walk-in shower all that's needed is the tray everything else is in place but I own my own house so I won't get help with that.?? I have been to hell and back. I will gladly accept some help with social care in some way Shape or form. John.
  • Cher_Alumni
    edited April 2021
    @miricleman0718 My understanding is that as long as you live in your home it's value will not be taken into account during a means test.  Taken from the NHS 'Paying for your own social care (self-funding)' :
    You will not be entitled to help with the cost of care from your local council if:
    • you have savings worth more than £23,250
    • you own your own property (this only applies if you're moving into a care home)
    Therefore if you have savings less than £23,250, I'd definitely consider applying for a needs assessment.

• miricleman0718
    I have just emailed the council through that king about needs assessment, get the ball rolling. Hopefully might get some where.????thanks 
  • miricleman0718
    Thanks For your advice I contacted the council about the special needs assessment and she rang me back spoke to me about any problems about what I need problem with the stairs the shower et cetera front step back step getting some help as I've been none the wiser until you pointed me in right direction. She also told me to ring the doctor and arrange for physio and occupational therapist which I've done, Within minutes of me ringing the doctor about my problems the physiotherapist rang me back within the hour and he had my notes at hand, so he's sorted me out some home physio and o/c. She So told me to ring Walkden house is that right the mental health in Warrington which I'll be doing tomorrow. 

So fingers crossed I will get some much needed help from everybody thanks to you as I have been none the wiser trying to get help in the past.

thanks John ??
  • Cher_Alumni
    @miricleman0718 Ah thank you for coming back to update us. I'm so happy our advice helped and made a difference. These are all positive steps and I'm sure you will get the support you need as a result. Please let us know how you get on and look after yourself <3

• miricleman0718
    yes I mentioned the difficulty I have getting in and out of the shower and up and the stairs etc. A Stair lift was mentioned and other stuff.
    so I'll keep you posted on my development. ??
    but I suffered so much with everything been at my witts end trying to get help.????
  • Ross_Alumni
    Hello @miricleman0718

Just wanted to check in to see how you are doing? :) 

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • miricleman0718
    edited April 2021
    Well since the chat and help and advice On who and what to do, their has been a lot of change moving forward.  I have contacted the Councils social care assessment team which in turn I have spoken to the physio and Social care response team who are both looking into doing home visits for the physio and coming to see what adaptations I can get I.e The shower as I struggle getting in and out on the stairs and also adaptations to the front and rear step so just waiting on phone calls and arrangements to sort that out. I spoke to a guy at Walkden house already got the number from Alison (Removed full name) at the council I spoke to him and got a bit upset because of trying to get help.  
    But after talking to him he said it seems that you've got and spoke to everybody to get things sorted out and in place.  

And I spoke to the physio within an hour of the talking to the doctor he rang,  and he knew about my situation because he talked about my two surgeons Bowel surgeon and orthopaedic surgeon, and even knew about the inguinal hernia which was only confirmed  a couple of weeks ago so we had all the notes in front of him.  

Also I gave my solicitor an update with regards to my condition and spoke to her and she intern rang the council to push it forward because apparently in 2019 should've been continued help and they should've kept an eye on me and they didn't. Tut tut.
     So a lot of developments thanks to you guys I am eternally grateful for the help and additional advice the hopefully get help I need.

Thanks John
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    Pleased to read things are beginning to move forward for you @miricleman0718 - Thank you for updating us all. :)
  • Ross_Alumni
    Thank you for the update @miricleman0718, it's good to hear that there have been positive steps forward and that you are getting support :) 

• miricleman0718
    YesI don't know what my solicitor said to him either but they rang me back the same day.  I think they need a rocket up their jacksy to help people out.
  • miricleman0718
    edited May 2021
    update on my situation.  A woman at the local hub near me has been in touch with regards to my in continence issues and got an appointment for that next week, I've seen my doctor about my hernia's today and gave me proper examination and now she knows everything she's going to contact the bowel surgeon to try and give the a nudge to sort these hernias and stoma reversed. Still not heard anything back from the council about them coming to my home to do an assessment, and nothing from pip department over 2 months now. 
  • Ross_Alumni
    Thanks for the update @miricleman0718

It seems as though there has been some positive progress in certain aspects but not so much in others. Hopefully you hear something from the council and DWP shortly.

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Thanks for the update 
    It can take few months for an assessment to be arranged I have read people still waiting who applied in Dec 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.